Frame question.

VPZINC

Not really sure where to put this so I figured why not here. When our tractor was purchased, my father wanted a short truck so it can be maneuverable. What he didn't think about was with a short wheel base, you can't legally haul the weight that we need. My question is can a frame be stretched? I'd like to streatch the frame and add a lift axle to the truck. If that is do-able, does anyone know shops in NY,NJ,PA,CT,ect that do this kind of work? Being that the truck is a 2007 and only has 18,000 miles on it, I can't justify buying a new truck when mine is still practically brand new.

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

"Old Macks never die, just get new generations of drivers"

Not really sure haven't looked into it all that much. Just more trying to get people's opinions and see if someone knows about this because I really have no clue. Right now I have an R permit that has me at a max combined GVW of 102,000 and to be legal with my biggest machine I need somewhere around 125,000 - 130,000.

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

A lift tag will get in the way on the back and New York will want it to be steerable so it has to go in front of the tandems. That would be the better set up. You know it's going to be a big job VP. How about Sanchez (TS Limited) ? They have been doing a bunch of tandem stretching making them into tri axles for Breen and Verniero. I would give them a call. They are in Ledgewood NJ.

Easiest think to do is use a jeep. Next to that is add on to the back and use a lift tag. Will that give you enough wheelbase to meet the bridge law?

Forget about a jeep David. If you saw the areas VP works in he is going to have enough trouble just moving a tri axle around

Yeah I know it will be a big job but it would be less expensive then buying a new tri axle tractor. Plus with the truck being basically brand new, I couldn't see getting rid of it. Like I said I really know nothing about this so any suggestion is a start for me. Thanks guys.

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

I would too. Plus while I'm there I can price out a body for my R. It's like 1 stop shopping lol. Not in the budget rot now but it's always nice to know prices.

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

Not sure what body it is all the plates have been tore off. It's a heated body so it has the rot that comes along with that. The inside skin is being pealed off the sides of the body, holes being patched everywhere and it's cracking up the sides on the floor where the main exhaust channel is. Has about 15 years of abuse on it. We keep repairing it every time something happens but one day it is going to need a new one or a new used one in better shape. Got to drive it and the Granite today and I still say give me the RD any ay of the week. We have the 1987 bond going lol

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

102,000 you must be 5 axles? I am legal at 102,000 with my 76 Brockway and 35 ton rogers. don't understand why you cant go more

Yes 5 axles on a 55 ton Rogers

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

Not sure what body it is all the plates have been tore off. It's a heated body so it has the rot that comes along with that. The inside skin is being pealed off the sides of the body, holes being patched everywhere and it's cracking up the sides on the floor where the main exhaust channel is. Has about 15 years of abuse on it. We keep repairing it every time something happens but one day it is going to need a new one or a new used one in better shape. Got to drive it and the Granite today and I still say give me the RD any ay of the week. We have the 1987 bond going lol

Yea right. Sounds like new body for sure. Keep the old dog going 87 was a good year.

Gotta go for the fourth axle on tractor or trailer to get the weight.

So either make the tractor a tri axle or put one of those flip down axles on the trailer or buy a 4 axle trailer?

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

So either make the tractor a tri axle or put one of those flip down axles on the trailer or buy a 4 axle trailer?

Yea but then you have to try to get around in Stony point on those hills and turns with a 4 axle trailer. I would say tri on tractor with steering

Stony Point is difficult, the challenges are Haverstraw, Nyack, New City, and Spring Valley. Then there is everything out on 45 and 59..... The place where nobody wants to drive if they don't have to lol

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

Stony Point is in the Hudson Valley in southern NY. I know where Corning is, I went to college in Alfred.

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

Man you're always in my neck of the woods and I have no idea what to look for.

Well sometimes I'm driving for Gulino so check out my gallery. If I'm doing work for myself then I'm in my International. I got tied in with this builder/contractor from Garnerville that does a lot of renovations so there is always some hardscaping or landscaping to be done. Plus I'm trying to do more in Rockland county.