Boston L Model Pumper with shop made fenders

fxfymn

Here is a picture of a neat old L Model, ex Boston E-26 that I took this past week end in the Boston Sparks Museum. It is a picture of a picture, so the detail is not that great, but you gotta love those shop made front fenders!

Probably taken sometime in the early sventies or late sixties.

post-2016-0-10714000-1363784451_thumb.jp

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

looks like a real work truck..... maybe they called it a DMLS85 mack ( the DM was a mack code for dump/mixer ,had front fenders like that. my mack has 2 deluge cannons that the previous owner installed ,told me it was a boston thing.I'll try to post

If you have ever driven through downtown Boston you'll know why fenders took a beating. Add a little snow and the old cowpaths become even narrower. Some of the old Boston

Macks had two deck guns mounted over the hose bed, one fore and one aft. Boston F.D. had a lot of "L" models and several unique bodied "B" models. Those were the last

Mack fire trucks in Boston. There were never any "C" or "CF" models. Must be a story there but I never heard why Macks were banned in Boston.

bulldogboy

Great link. Thanks.

Back when I was riding with the Boston lads in the late sixties I always called the surviving L models "fender flappers" because most of them had the front fenders barely hanging on. Boston is not known for how well they care for their apparatus to say the least.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Great link. Thanks.

Back when I was riding with the Boston lads in the late sixties I always called the surviving L models "fender flappers" because most of them had the front fenders barely hanging on. Boston is not known for how well they care for their apparatus to say the least.

I've heard of '56 "fat fender Fords" but never "fender flapper Macks". Nice!

bulldogboy

I'll never forget watching a job somewhere near the BPl where the driver of one of the L models could not keep it running when he put it in pump gear. He would put it in gear, get out of the cab to throttle up and the engine would die. Get back in the cab, take it out of pump gear, re-start, put back in pump gear, rev the hell out of it, jump out, engine dies, repeat about ten more times until someone came by to throttle it up while he sat in the cab.

I am really surprised that even one survived to be re-built for display.