Thermodyne To Maxidyne:

Rob

I was looking through a Federal-Mogul catalog and pistons/liners were listed for engines converted to Maxidyne series. What does this conversion consist of? I've got several "tired" Thermodynes that could use freshed up if not cost prohibitive.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ive never heard of a conversion, I think the old Thermodynes had 20 head studs instead of the Maxidyne's 18. I think the liner flange is also different on the Thermodyne, There is possibly a kit available with Maxidyne liners and a newer style head gasket. Im not sure, can anyone confirm or can that for me?

:mack1: I am not sure on the no. of head bolts on which engine, but i do know of taking a thermodyne engine with the same no. of head bolts as the maxidyne, putting the fire ring liners in and scoring the head for the fire ring, and your good to go! terry

:mack1: I am not sure on the no. of head bolts on which engine, but i do know of taking a thermodyne engine with the same no. of head bolts as the maxidyne, putting the fire ring liners in and scoring the head for the fire ring, and your good to go! terry

Some people overhaul a thermodyne using the maxidyne liner only with recutting the seal ring in the head of the thermodyne head because the thermodyne liner is hard to get and it will seal the compression better.

i dont know what is in the kit but it will have to have a thermodyne piston in it because thermodyne rod is smaller and the wrist pin bore is different size. glenn

glenn akers