Retreads on steers

Think about it like this, new steers will run $600-$1000 depending on what you get, caps will run $400-700 depending. Now picture blowing a steer tire, if you keep it on the road you'll still need another tire, hood, headlight, bumper, mudflap, battery box maybe even a fuel tank. Now is it worth it?

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

:bulldog3: They have improved recaps greatly thu the years, but not so much that I would risk my life to run them on the steering axle.

Any one who has ever blown a steering tire on an older truck with manual steering could tell you how tough it is.The first one I blew was in 1972 and it almost put me over a hill onto the railroad tracks, not to mention that I thought it broke my arm.

HOW MUCH IS YOUR LIFE WORTH ?

:thumbsdown:

Think about it like this, new steers will run $600-$1000 depending on what you get, caps will run $400-700 depending. Now picture blowing a steer tire, if you keep it on the road you'll still need another tire, hood, headlight, bumper, mudflap, battery box maybe even a fuel tank. Now is it worth it?

Don't forget a re-placement pair for the "coffee stained" shorts either!.......................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

When I stopped running retreads I stopped having tire failures. Another view point. What if you do "sling a cap" on the steer axle and no one gets hurt.How much will it cost to fix the damage to you fender,hood,bumper,wiring harness,airlines and floor pan.Ive seen ALL of these damaged on a steer tire failure.OH and the roadside service call. New or good used tires are way cheaper.

My dad put 12R24s on our superliner. It looks a lot better than the original 11R24. It makes the truck look tougher, are stronger, and fills up the wheel wells.

If they only made tubeless 24'' I'd have em on my cl all the way around,love the look of the big rubber!

Tread wright sells re-cap/re-tread tires from 15s up to 19.5s.

A friend of mine ran these retreads at all 4 corners on his S10-Blazer and actually wore out 3 sets of them.

Apparently these mold cures are legal on vehicles with 4,500lb and lighter GVWR's anything heavier is for the rear wheels and trailers only.

I have 2 of these on the rear of my Jeep Comanche which only 2 wheel drive, I still wouldn't run Re-cap/Re-tread tires on the steer axle of anything.

My Jeep is over the GVWR light its a 6K-LB GVWR rig so I couldn't anyway.

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

If your truck is plated classic in Pa you need an annual inspection. You will fail instantly for caps on the steers. That's a big no no. I've run caps on drives and trailers with good luck. Theyve always been goodyear caps and I'm a sticker for tire pressure and rotation.