Cable Dump Trailer

2stacksuperdog

We were talking about cable dump trailers the other day and i couldn't find any pictures. They said that you would lock a cable to the axle and then back up and the cable would move a mechanism that would raise the body to dump. Anybody ever hear or see these? also does anybody have pictures?

Matt

I used to drive one back in the mid seventys. It has winch on the truck with a four part line under the dump trailer to the back. When you pulled on the winch t would pull the wheels toward the truck and would raise the bed. To let it down just reverse the winch and it would come down. You would leave a little slack in the line when you drove off.

Doug

My dad was talking about the same thing the other day. He said he remembered my uncle owning one back in the 60's and my grandpa pulled it. He described it the exact same way Dougsr did. I guess before hydraulics caught on, everything was cable, just like construction equipment.

Jake

We was hauling scrap iron in those things. They would pick up a big load. As long as the brake and cable was good on the winch we never did have any problem with it I drove it in the mid 70's. I did not get any pictures. If you had to take the dump trailer off it was a pain in the butt.

Doug