Can Anyone Tell What This Is?

• 3 months later...
Rusted plate with two rusted screws and a "thingy" on the back, also has a bare wire which blasted the fuse.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Bastids..Okay it has a type of spring loaded switch on it, was found over on the right hand side of the engine and one of the wires goes to the Jake Brake (I think).

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

Jake brake switch.

It would be mounted at the throttle lever on the injection pump.

When the throttle returns to idle the throttle lever contacts the switch causing the Jake brake to come on (provided the dashboard switch is on and the clutch pedal is all the way up).

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Jake brake switch.

It would be mounted at the throttle lever on the injection pump.

When the throttle returns to idle the throttle lever contacts the switch causing the Jake brake to come on (provided the dashboard switch is on and the clutch pedal is all the way up).

He is right jake brake switch. glenn

glenn akers

Interesting. So this would have been mounted to the injection pump below the throttle lever, and (provided the dash switch is on), when I take my foot off the accelerator and the the throttle lever rotates back to idle position, it depresses the jake brake switch, which then tells restricts exhaust flow?

This is one of the things that don't work on the truck and I think you can help me understand it. So then the dash switch is a three-way switch? With wires running to power, ground and the JB switch? And what is the JB switch connected to and how does the JB actually work to slow the truck?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

Interesting. So this would have been mounted to the injection pump below the throttle lever, and (provided the dash switch is on), when I take my foot off the accelerator and the the throttle lever rotates back to idle position, it depresses the jake brake switch, which then tells restricts exhaust flow?

This is one of the things that don't work on the truck and I think you can help me understand it. So then the dash switch is a three-way switch? With wires running to power, ground and the JB switch? And what is the JB switch connected to and how does the JB actually work to slow the truck?

Ok first thing is Mack made their own engine brake called the Dynatard which is different than the Jake brake. But you could pick if you wanted a Jake brake or a Dynatard. The Jake brake uses a valve cover spacer kit which is easily noticeable. They both operate on the same principal of compression release. When the engine brake is activated it cuts the fuel and alters the valve train timing by opening the exhaust valves at top dead center of the compression stroke. Compression requires power so the engine absorbs power compressing air.

The wiring is simple, you have three or four switches.

-The first dash mounted switch is the on/off switch.

-The second dash mounted switch is sometimes not present and it is the hi/low or sometimes a hi/med/low switch. It selects either 3 or all six cylinders or 2, 4 or 6 cylinders.

-There is a clutch switch so if you press the clutch it turns the brake off to prevent stalling the engine

-Then the throttle switch which actives the brake when you take your foot off the accelerator.

Here is a pretty good diagram from a book on Google books

Looks like a good book too. Nearly the whole book is there on Google.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!