Cool Old Gmc

Mackpro

Ya some of my trucks were jimmys & i like em (just another class 8 Truck gone due to V%*V%'s :icon_bs: ) :angry:

THose ole 2 troke jimmy motors are part the reason for my hear loss @ my young age of 32 but i like em anyway for more reasons than the sound ;)

i agree w/ other that looks like a late 40's to early 50's 900 id like to hear em run

later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Turns out there was an old truck show in town and that GMC was in it. I went by the show late today after it was over and ther was a sweet looking orange B-model pulling a trailer with a couple other old pick-up on it. Wish I had brought my camera.

The GMC "Big Cab" 900 series Heavy Duty Truck Line, of this body style, was '50-'59. The '49, & earlier 900 series trucks, were the Art Deco" style, with the smaller 2 man cab's. Spanky Hardy....Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers. http://community.webshots.com/user/snubnose4754
Hey Spanky.When I got out of high school in 1974 I went to work at a garage in Cumberland,Va. and they had an 860 GMC wrecker, around 58-60 model I believe.It had a sloped hood with a 671 detroit ,5 spd,2 speed rear.They called it "Big Mama".Wish I had some pictures of it,as it's one of my favorite trucks ever,the 860 GMCs.They took the wrecker body off of it sometime in the late 70's or early 80's and put it on a later model 9500 GMC ,which they still use to this day,and sold the 860.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey Spanky.When I got out of high school in 1974 I went to work at a garage in Cumberland,Va. and they had an 860 GMC wrecker, around 58-60 model I believe.It had a sloped hood with a 671 detroit ,5 spd,2 speed rear.They called it "Big Mama".Wish I had some pictures of it,as it's one of my favorite trucks ever,the 860 GMCs.They took the wrecker body off of it sometime in the late 70's or early 80's and put it on a later model 9500 GMC ,which they still use to this day,and sold the 860.

This one belongs to Moe Stone of WVa so you will often see this one at shows in your area. You can hear that screamin' Detroit 6-71 coming up the road LONG before you actually see the truck.

post-1837-1194951723_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This one belongs to Moe Stone of WVa so you will often see this one at shows in your area. You can hear that screamin' Detroit 6-71 coming up the road LONG before you actually see the truck.
Yep,that's what it looked like-it was blue too,little bit lighter shade,with dark blue lettering and fenders.Thanks for posting the picture,that's a sharp looking unit there!...and I missed the Winchester show this year.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 1 month later...

yup a 671 (238 is my favorite 2 stroke jimmy motor ) long live the ole Screamin Jimmy Detroits :thumb:

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

• 3 weeks later...
blue :lol:

( sorry,I couldn't resist )

When I was on the local fire department we had a gmc pumper truck with the 671 detroit and allison automatic. I always told anyone that drove it hold it to the floor and be pissed off when you drive it. Tops out at 63 mph, man she's a singing by then to.

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy