Triaxle dump body length?

I am ordering a new triaxle dump here in nj the standard dump body is usually 17.5 ft long I am going to pull a tag along with this truck so I was thinking of getting it with a 16.5 ft body so it will not be so long hooked up to trailer. Does anyone one what will be the pro and cons if I go with the shorter body

I am ordering a new triaxle dump here in nj the standard dump body is usually 17.5 ft long I am going to pull a tag along with this truck so I was thinking of getting it with a 16.5 ft body so it will not be so long hooked up to trailer. Does anyone one what will be the pro and cons if I go with the shorter body

Pros: You cant overload the truck

Cons: If the material is light you cant get enough in

Matt

Tri axles here in mid tn are 16' body, we run 74,000 on state roads, go by bridge law on interstate, I have seen 15' Tri axles and 18' Tri axles really just depends on you. I would go for a 16' with a tri axle and an 18.5 on a quad, my reasons being the shorter the truck the lighter the truck and a 16' bed with 60" sides is about it for hauling 24tons in the bed, with the quad you can gross 80,000 on state and the bridge on a truck with a set forward axle and 18.5' bed gets you to70,000 on the interstate, anything longer the tare versus gross doesn't add up. There's my reasons, now you gotta ignore us and go with your math.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

17.5 body 20 front and 46 rears tandem gets me 21.5 ton legal with permit. i pulled a 21+6 eager beaver tag with this truck, not bad to get around. the truck is a dm690.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

With the new trucks frame space in an issue. Anything shorter than 17'6" doesn't leave much room for fuel tanks. Make sure you look at a weight distribution, it's hard to get enough weight up on the steer. Here in Pa guys are starting to use 18' even 18'6" if you want to get your 16 -18k up on the steer axle.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/