Cat D2

Dougsr

My friend got this little Cat D2 with a pony motor yesterday. We pulled it out with a John Deere 50. We pulled it up backwards on the trailer with a electric winch double lined. We helped it with another tractor with a front end loader on it. When we got it home we held backup with the electric winch and used a backhoe to pull it off. After moving the truck and trailer out of the way we put fuel in it and pulled it with the backhoe and it started after pulling it about ten feet. It had been setting up a long time. It has a problem with one of the turning clutches and will only turn one way. The pony motor needs the carb put back on and other little things before we can try it. It needs a lot of work but will be a fun project.

Doug

post-10767-0-49942900-1359906265_thumb.j

• Like 1

if it has been sitting with the clutches in the drive position, they will stick. a good way to break them free is to pull back the handle on the side that sticks and place machine to something heavy and try to push it and snap the brake at the same time.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

I have a D2 also that had the same problem.What GreenGiant2 said is the first and easiest way of breaking it loose.What I did was to put a 12'x12" block in back of the track and bump up against it to try and break it loose.If that doesn't work then comes the fun part.You will first have to break the track in half then will be removing the case that holds the steering clucth and break it loose that way.If it has been sitting a long time I doubt the bumping it will work.You can also fill that compartment with disel fuel and hold the steering lever in the back position as you bump it.Don't be shy about bumping it.Give it a shot against the front blade.Let us know how you make out.Mike Durkin

One of my uncles had one of those. First track machine I ever "moved". I wouldn't say "operated". I remember it came with a wrench the size of a baseball bat for adjusting the tracks and you had to crank the turnbuckles to tilt the blade. Your lucky to find one in that good of shape and with a blade.

When you pull back on I think the right clutch you don't feel any tension like you do on the working side. The main clutch needs to be adjusted also. I think when he starts to work on it he is going to go on and drop the belly pan and give it a good bath with the steam cleaner. The rollers all seam to be ok as far as we have looked. The old rails are not the best in the world. But it is all there and does run good and does not smoke. That makes for a good project.

Doug

It is almost like a pin is out or something loose. When you pull the clutch back it don't have hardly any tension. I will tell him to put the fuel in it. When we started it it slung water and junk out of the main clutch access plate we had off. It was just setting on it so it was easy to get water in it.

Doug

This one has the electric starter on the pony but does have the backup pull rope. They guy we got it from did not know a lot about the condition of the pony. Oh yes I forgot it also has a Cat blade on it with the tag still in place. It looks like you can remove the blade from the arms and they will swing to the rear of the tractor. It also has a guide near the rear sprokets. It looks like you could put the blade on the back. Do any of you know why they swing to the back like that?

Doug