2000 MACK CH613 POWER UPGRADE TO 427, VERY DISAPPOINTED

butchs18

Let me give you a little history about what I have done in the past two years:

When I bought the truck, it was a 330/350 E-Tech Engine, so I decided to have Mack upgrade it to a 355/380 after reading post on this web site which was a big help. The upgrade gave me 1560 ft. pounds of torque at 1100 rpm's and 380 horse power at 1600 rpm's. Then, I decided to go up to the 400 horse power upgrade, which at the time I didn't realize that it would drop my torque back to 1460 ft. pounds. Later in the year, I decided to have Mack upgrade to 427 which would give me the 1560 pound of torque back. I already had the right turbo but needed the injectors that I have not installed yet. So, when I pulled my truck into the Mack shop it would produce 27 pounds of turbo boost with the 400. Now, when I took the truck out of the shop after the 427 upgrade, I only could get 22-23 pounds of boost. I was very disappointed. I haul bulk cement with my truck and gross 80,000 pounds and haul in the mountains of Tennessee. It seems like Mack punishes you every time you upgrade. What would you recommend I do next? Change injectors or put the Blixton 200 on the truck? The last six digits of my vin. # is: 123854

I appreciated any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Butch

when I get to work Ill look at my HP upgrade chart and see what turbo, injector and if cam key way does need changing. Usually on the 427-460 ETECH (non-CCRS engine 2002+) you have to install a off set cam key-way to prevent over heating. And with your VIN I can see what datafiles have been downloaded to your truck, but the mack dealer website is down tonight for some reason.

Mack did not suggest the cam key change .... only turbo and injector change ... the turbo I already had. Sure have lost horse power. There's no way that it has 1560 foot pound of torque. The 400 that I had will outpull this 427 hands down.

Thanks for your reply.

Butch

You should be getting around 30 psi of turbo boost now. It shows your engine ECM has been set to 427.HP. However doesn't look lke no one has updated the vehicle ECM in a long time. My screen shows it could be bumped to the "Step 12B" program. I figured while the truck was there they would have done that. It would help alot on throttle responce but would not keep you from getting the correct boost pressure. Also do you have the part numbers of the turbo and injectors they installed when they went from 400HP to 427HP?

The download and turbo upgrade are useless with out changing to the bigger injectors, gotta change the injectors , their probably more important that the turbo. The turbo number we use is

631GC5173MX on the 427 and 460 but the number you gave does cross over and will work. The new injector # should be 736GB415M2X. The 427 and 460 HP all use the exact part numbers on everything ( except the 2002-2003 CCRS engines) , the only difference is the download. We always shoot for the 460 cause its the same money.

Thanks for the imformation & thanks for guys... like you... for helping owner operators like me trying to get up the hills faster. You are right on the money about the upgrade without bigger injectors installed. Had the truck to mack today,They checked the upgrade, said everything was ok just need injectors. I'll install them in a few days. I did try for thr 460 upgrade but mack said my tranny was not strong enough. check out the attachment.

Thanks Butch

mack 427 upgrade.pdf

Edited by Butchs18

Thanks for the imformation & thanks for guys... like you... for helping owner operators like me trying to get up the hills faster. You are right on the money about the upgrade without bigger injectors installed. Had the truck to mack today,They checked the upgrade, said everything was ok just need injectors. I'll install them in a few days. I did try for thr 460 upgrade but mack said my tranny was not strong enough. check out the attachment.

Thanks Butch

They tell us stuff like that also, we hear you gotta change the trans or add an trans oil coller or get a bigger clutch or rear axles. They are just covering their ass if something goes wrong. And it mostly for warranty reasons so if you do blow a rear axle that was rated to low for the HP and try to get it warrantied. We let the customer know what Mack said and let the customer decied if its worth the risk. 99% say go with it. Its not like these engines are every gonna put out 2250 Ft LBS of power and tear something up. We always tell Mack, yea we changed the rear axle or clutch or whatever ( as long as the customer knows) and they crank the HP up.

They tell us stuff like that also, we hear you gotta change the trans or add an trans oil coller or get a bigger clutch or rear axles. They are just covering their ass if something goes wrong. And it mostly for warranty reasons so if you do blow a rear axle that was rated to low for the HP and try to get it warrantied. We let the customer know what Mack said and let the customer decied if its worth the risk. 99% say go with it. Its not like these engines are every gonna put out 2250 Ft LBS of power and tear something up. We always tell Mack, yea we changed the rear axle or clutch or whatever ( as long as the customer knows) and they crank the HP up.

Believe it or not an ETECH with the right injectors turbo and computer flash will do over 2000ft lbs, I have the dyno sheet herre somewhere on a Etech 400 with an upgraded turbo, injectors and a computer flash at Illinois Dyno Center and it showed over 550hp to the rear wheels with rwtq at 1600 that puts it over 600hp and 2000ft lbs at the flywheel. I know a lot of guys that have done the Mak upgrades to get more HP only to be dissapointed after spending a fortune. I say go spend a little over a grand on a computer reflash and a set of injectors and if you have a 427 up turbo rock on and watch the pyro so you dont melt it down on a long pull, there is a lot of hp in those ecm's.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I have a RD with a etech400h.p., what I need to do to get it up to the 427/460 range with high tourqe. I will get you my vin # and turbo #. I am running 300h.p. injectors right now. I changed motors(through a rod out block) this one was used out of a garbage truck. I used my ECMS and electrical harness, turbo but did not change injectors, I still got my original ones. Used motor was rated at 300h.p., I do have that ECM as well.

Believe it or not an ETECH with the right injectors turbo and computer flash will do over 2000ft lbs, I have the dyno sheet herre somewhere on a Etech 400 with an upgraded turbo, injectors and a computer flash at Illinois Dyno Center and it showed over 550hp to the rear wheels with rwtq at 1600 that puts it over 600hp and 2000ft lbs at the flywheel. I know a lot of guys that have done the Mak upgrades to get more HP only to be dissapointed after spending a fortune. I say go spend a little over a grand on a computer reflash and a set of injectors and if you have a 427 up turbo rock on and watch the pyro so you dont melt it down on a long pull, there is a lot of hp in those ecm's.

Where do you get this flash done, read my other post to Mackpro

Gotta get the fuel in there, actually changing to bigger injectors would have the capability to make more power than all the rest.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I also have a 2000 CH613 with a 400 that is sick. Ive had it to 2 different Mack garages and another garage thats good with Macks and was told you cant do anything to turn these up. So where do you guys go to get this done? I live in northwest PA. They tell me its as good as it gets but my Superliner with 350 runs circles around it. Any help?

FOUND A SET OF MACK 460 INJECTORS #736GB410M. WILL THEY WORK IN MY ENGINE?

I realize your going with all Mack factory parts, call Antrim Diesel in PA to get some info from them, believe it or not buying aftermarket stuff is much cheaper than OEM in most cases and will make more power if you get the right parts. I know several people have contacted Antrim for their power upgrades on BMT ask around most I have talked to are very satisfied with the results. 717-597-7963/7964/7965

• 3 years later...