R Model Dool Latch

On my RS700 i have an older style latch set up(the one with the round latch end)that is always troublesome. to make it worse some of the bolts that hold the door catch have snaped off in the door frame. making it difficult to open/close as the catch moves around. is there any way to upgrade the latch system to the "current" R model style? It seams that the older latch set up is a PITA to keep it aligned and operating. the newer latch you can open with ease with just one finger.

Or is there any easy way to set up my current latch system. I hate having to roll down the window and open the door from the out side!!!

On my RS700 i have an older style latch set up(the one with the round latch end)that is always troublesome. to make it worse some of the bolts that hold the door catch have snaped off in the door frame. making it difficult to open/close as the catch moves around. is there any way to upgrade the latch system to the "current" R model style? It seams that the older latch set up is a PITA to keep it aligned and operating. the newer latch you can open with ease with just one finger.

Or is there any easy way to set up my current latch system. I hate having to roll down the window and open the door from the out side!!!

Which latch assy do you have Trent?

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

the pic on the left Rob

Trent

Wonder why in the hell someone installed older style doors on your truck? Rust possibly? You can modify your door with some skillful cutting of the "D" shape and the bolt layout (as can be seen from the picture(s) are the same. I do believe you would need to use the newer style pull rod and stiker plate on the "B" pillar to make it work. Those old round latch assemblies tended to round off internally after several years and presented the problems you speak of.

You can purchase new parts for under $60.00 new. They can be acquired through Mack, (Preferably Watt's) if you go that route, or several aftermarket suppliers have the same new style latch available. If you get down my way in the near future, I'll help you.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob I think this style latch was used up untill the early 80s? not shure but it looks as if my truck came with them as the door catch has no mods or extra holes...

When they work right they are easy to open and close. but when they wear they are a pita to find the sweet spot... I have seen guys with late 60s R models that have this style and they work so well that your pinky can open the door inside and out. for me I have to pull hard on the inside and push my thumb hard on the outside... I did replace the passenger side latch and its still a little hard to use...

Trent

Rob I think this style latch was used up untill the early 80s?

Trent, I think, (but could be wrong) that the new style double pawl locking set was mandated for the 1973 model year. I remember when I was a teenager, (many years ago) retrofitting the older style latches to the new style. It would have been about that timeframe.

Rob

Trent, I think, (but could be wrong) that the new style double pawl locking set was mandated for the 1973 model year. I remember when I was a teenager, (many years ago) retrofitting the older style latches to the new style. It would have been about that timeframe.

Rob

rob and trent my truck is 1976 and it has the same latch as trents truck?????

rob and trent my truck is 1976 and it has the same latch as trents truck?????

I can believe that Adrian. Trucks and automobiles produced for export must comply with the destination country's mandates. Your truck being marketed outside of the USA very well could be equipt with hardware that was mandated changed in the USA. We have safety issues out the ying yang here.

Both my 77, and 78 have the new style latches. My 73 also had them but they were in place prior to my ownership.

Rob

• 1 month later...
I have an 74,77, and 79 R-600's and all three have the old style door latches , know the history of the trucks since they were new and thats what they came out with.

I got to digging into some older and newer service literature that I have and the new style latch was introduced mid 1976, with a mandate to use existing stock, (manufacturing level) until depleted. At that point use the new "double pawl" latch. The new "double pawl" style latch was mandated to be used July 1st, 1979 and therafter. Warranty repairs were to also include the newer style latch.

Rob