EM7 Coolant Conditioner

farmer52

According to the build sheet and parts book for my MH...it was built with a coolant conditioner. But upon further investigation, the conditioner has been removed. Below is a pic of the thermostat housing missing one coolant conditioner.

Looking for the following used parts:

493GB 3117BP2 HOUSING, thermostat

32GB 354 ADAPTER, coolant conditioner

227GC 449 TUBE, coolant conditioner adapter to cylinder block

The housing and adapter are over $100 each from Mack and the tube is NLA.

Thanks!

post-3289-0-06464100-1357772002_thumb.jp

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Ken

I used to make the tubes out of 1/4" steel brake tubing when they needed to be replaced.

Looking at the picture I don't think you need a new thermostat housing, looks as if if Martin's or someone just tapped and plugged the water hole in

the housing. Remove it.

You would just need the adapter, fittings w/ rubber ferrules (like old leak off line fittings), and check valve w/"O"ring.

You would also need a couple of longer (I believe they were 8mm bolts) to mount the adapter.

That and a Baldwin #BW5176 plain filter or #BW5178 treated filter and you should be good to go.

Ron

The housing still has some gray paint where the adapter would fit. I wonder why it was removed?

I do not see any means of removing the plug (although I can't see the plug if it is an allen hex or brass). One of these days it gets warmer I will tilt the cab and get a better look at the housing. I also need to see where the line fits into the block and what was done there. I hope it is an easy addition and the housing bolts do not break off. Perhaps the upper bolts are the correct length (85mm versus the bottom 75mm).

Barry suggested an aeroquip line.

I have lots of 25MF435B coolant filters.

Ken

Ken

The housing on our "MH"'s were straight, the areoquip line would certainly work but there isn't much room to route it where it has to go.

The line goes to the R.H. side of the block all the way in the front behind where the water pump housing bolts to the block.

You should see a 1/8" N.P.T. pipe plug in the block where the fitting should go.

Originally there was a 90 degree fitting there pointing upward and as I said before it used the old compression fittings with rubber ferrules as was used in

the old fuel return lines. you need a 90 degree connector for the block and a straight connector for the water filter head.

Ron

The housing still has some gray paint where the adapter would fit. I wonder why it was removed?

I do not see any means of removing the plug (although I can't see the plug if it is an allen hex or brass). One of these days it gets warmer I will tilt the cab and get a better look at the housing. I also need to see where the line fits into the block and what was done there. I hope it is an easy addition and the housing bolts do not break off. Perhaps the upper bolts are the correct length (85mm versus the bottom 75mm).

Barry suggested an aeroquip line.

I have lots of 25MF435B coolant filters.

Ken

It was probably removed because later Macks with E.S.I. (extended service interval) systems didn't use the filter but were just chemically treated.

So they most likely upgraded the vehicle and removed the water filter.

Ron

I bought a used adapter. Still need to see if I can get the thermostat housing hole unplugged. If so, then all I need is the line. However if someone has a used thermostat housing in good condition with the hole open, send me a note.

Ken