Clutch Rebuilding Advice- Fort Wayne Clutches, Inc.

1958 F.W.D.

Hello everyone, new member here. First I apologize, I attempted a search on this topic but could not come up with any results. From lurking around for a while, you folks really seem to have your stuff together, and in my opinion, this forum appears to be the absolute best one out there for antique trucks. Though I dont own a Mack, I did grow up in the right hand seat of two F-Models that my father owned as an owner-operator, I have a deep appreciation of all things Bulldog, especially firetrucks!

I own a 1958 F.W.D. model F-725, 750GPM firetruck, with a 140GZ Waukesha (THUNDER PUMPKIN!) gasoline engine, mated to a 5 speed Clark transmission through a 15" Lipe-Brown Clutch. The clutch has grown quite tired, and is in need of rebuilding. All of the wedges have been removed. If you are on even the slightest incline, and start out in second, she slips big time. Or upon reaching a steep grade without a good running start (read: momentum!) she slips (Taking her to Macungie in 2005, E/B on I-78, at the junction for Rt.309 where the steep grade is, I had to drop her to second and was doing 20mph on the shoulder! Not Good!) The time has come to rebuild the clutch.

Myself and my Father will remove/install. Problem is, that I can not find a vendor in/around the Lehigh Valley or Philadelphia Metropolitan area that wont rebuild it for less than $500 bucks (I have been quoted anywhere from $500 to as high as $800) Now understand that I am not a tightwad, but I do have two anklebiters and a mortgage payment (blah blah blah) I dont have a money tree outback. In doing research, I found Fort Wayne Clutches, Inc. (www.fortwayneclutch.com) in Hemmings Motor News. On a whim, I called them, and the guy I talked to really seemed to know his stuff, and gave me a price of $250, not including shipping. Has anyone out there ever dealt with this company and can you tell me about your experience with them??? Good? Bad??

Second Question is, Are there any vendors in the Lehigh Valley, Metro Philly or even New York City area that could rebuild this clutch for a reasonable amount? What would you consider a reasonable amount to do this work????

Any advice anyone is willing to lend is greatly appreciated! Thank You in advance!

-Randy

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Is it a Lipe-Rollway ML type clutch with the big single coil sping under the collar.That's usually what's on a Waukesha,at least in a Walter.I have access to a company that has what few kits that are left for them.I do them here in the shop,when the parts are used up,there will never be more,the tooling has been destroyed when Lipe was sold.

Edited by RC51

Is it a Lipe-Rollway ML type clutch with the big single coil sping under the collar.That's usually what's on a Waukesha,at least in a Walter.I have access to a company that has what few kits that are left for them.I do them here in the shop,when the parts are used up,there will never be more,the tooling has been destroyed when Lipe was sold.

RC51 you are %100 Correct! I forgot to insert into my posting that it is indeed an "ML" Lipe-Rollway clutch. I have the exact model number written down but of course I cant find it right now. I can get it to you however. What would it cost me to get a hold of one of these kits, and what does the kit include? Does it have replacement wedges (I hope!!!???) Thanks for the fast reply!

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

If he can do it for $250,it's a bargain.Ask him some questions,because $5-800 is the ballpark,the lower end of the scale for single plate model.The kits with the wear parts is $100,to grind the pressure plate is at least $35,plus labor,it has to be disassembled,cleaned,glass bead blasted,etc.That is only for the cover,the disc I pay to have done,I don't have the materials or a riveting machine.The place where you get the kits is in Trafford,Pa,they come in a 6" square box,smothered in gun grease and the box is dipped in cosmoline.They must be WW2 surplus.I don't think it is worth it for you to ship it to me to do.Oh,when you pull the shims to adjust it,try not to destroy them,save them,you need them in 6's,and they don't make them anymore.Most of the time I find those like the old Mack CA4106 clutch....Pretty bulletproof..if they don't show signs of wear,scoring or heat,glaze,etc,just change the disc,re-shim them,put them back in,[ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR FLYWHEEL DEPTH!!!]it is an antique...Too bad you have a 140 Waukesha,because I believe the 145 series towards the end used a more up to date clutch.Al

Edited by RC51

Al: The clutch is indeed an "ML" series, the model number is 150-1-466, and the SN is A926162. Would your supplier happen to have two of these rebuild kits in stock, and what would it cost to ship them to Hellertown, Pa (ZIP 18055?) Or if you could give me a name and a phone number I could call myself. Would be nice to have one for the current rebuild, and one to have in stock. Do the kits come with the shims? I sincerely hope so, or I am screwed, because the original shims are long gone.

Also I am going to send an email to Ft Wayne Clutches, and interrogate them about this $250 fee- Now I am a little skeptical and am wondering exactly what will I get for that?????

Again, thanks for the help!

And if anyone reading this has had experience with Ft Wayne Clutch, good or bad, please let me know!

-RANDY

outback. In doing research, I found Fort Wayne Clutches, Inc. (www.fortwayneclutch.com) On a whim, I called them, and the guy I talked to really seemed to know his stuff, and gave me a price of $250, not including shipping. Has anyone out there ever dealt with this company and can you tell me about your experience with them??? Good? Bad??

Considering I live 13 miles from Ft. Wayne Clutch I have had some interaction with them thru the years. They did the clutch for my '70 Nova, and have done piece work on my wreckers, & 4 X 4's. They do work for most of the heavy truck dealers in Ft Wayne. I have never had a problem with any of the work they have done for me.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...