getting more power out of 07 granite

glossner8

I just bought a 07 granite with the AI 460 motor in it and I'm not impressed with the way it runs. My other truck is 95 CL with E7 427 and it will eat the 07 for breakfast. I've haven't took it to mack garage yet to see if there is anything they can do to it , but when you first start out or changing gears it is a real pooch. Its like you stand on fuel pedal and it doesn't take off it seems like for 2 or 3 seconds and when climbing some good hills by the time it wants to take off your already finding another gear. I was looking at a tuner made by Steinbauer, was wondering if anybody tried them and was it worth getting , or whatever else makes them run a lot better. thanks for any help.

I have an 07 chn with an accet 460, that thing is ok but kinda a pouch to. We installed a power chip in it this summer but didnt seem to change anything. We had a 94 ch with an e7 400 and we chipped it and that was way stronger than this 07. The only change we noticed with the chip is that it pegs the boost gauge very easy when you get after it. I almost think the egr is what kills them so bad. I dont know but id say its new power ratings versus old ones.

there was a thread on here about a month ago that i saw that said if you put a mack ac series cam in a ai series engine you will see a big differance in power . i guess the ai engines have a cutback crank . i heard the ac crank will wake up the ai . peole have done this

you dont need to swap the cam, you actually dont need to swap anything, I had Mack update my 04 AI427 to get rid of the stumble on takeoff (and yes it is a no charge mack update for those engines) and when I got it on the road it was worse than when I went in, the stumble was gone but so was all the power it was sick. I went back and bitched the service manager out so they flashed it again with a new program from PA this one was better but still not enough for me so I went back and told em to keep the P.O.S. i would go buy a KW and then bitched out a guy in PA on the phone, so they sent another flash for it(staxx put it in) and after that I dont know how much power it made but it would run right with a 475 CAT, pass a 460 on any hill, it would black smoke if you lugged it down and make 38-40psi of boost and just pull like hell all the way thru the power band. My point being the parts are good for plenty of power you just ned the program to make it run right.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

you dont need to swap the cam, you actually dont need to swap anything, I had Mack update my 04 AI427 to get rid of the stumble on takeoff (and yes it is a no charge mack update for those engines) and when I got it on the road it was worse than when I went in, the stumble was gone but so was all the power it was sick. I went back and bitched the service manager out so they flashed it again with a new program from PA this one was better but still not enough for me so I went back and told em to keep the P.O.S. i would go buy a KW and then bitched out a guy in PA on the phone, so they sent another flash for it(staxx put it in) and after that I dont know how much power it made but it would run right with a 475 CAT, pass a 460 on any hill, it would black smoke if you lugged it down and make 38-40psi of boost and just pull like hell all the way thru the power band. My point being the parts are good for plenty of power you just ned the program to make it run right.

We have had ours back to the dealer many times about the lack of power/fuel economy. They would do some computer things to them and there would be no difference. After a lot of bitching the GM of the dealership told me that the AI engine wasn't suited for our line of work. At that point I asked why they helped spec these trucks for us? He didn't have an answer for that. Besides the poor fuel economy and lack of power, they are great trucks in every other way. -Brad

We have had ours back to the dealer many times about the lack of power/fuel economy. They would do some computer things to them and there would be no difference. After a lot of bitching the GM of the dealership told me that the AI engine wasn't suited for our line of work. At that point I asked why they helped spec these trucks for us? He didn't have an answer for that. Besides the poor fuel economy and lack of power, they are great trucks in every other way. -Brad

those engines are just as reliable and have all the potential of the E7 ETECH engines they just have internal EGR, the ecm controls the power output and it can be fixed without changing anything on the truck you just have to get the right guy to do it. I wish we had rear wheeled my 04 then I would have proof but it truy felt like the power doubled and the power band dropped a couple hundred rpm too so therre was no more winding it out to shift and keep it in the power band I could shift it about 16-1700 on a hill loaded to 74000 and pick the next gear right up and gain speed. I have driven several and only two were cranked up like my old one and we both made a major deal out of the lack of power at Mack and it got fixed, the other truck was a 400 mine was a 427 and they would outpull every 460 and cat C-12/13 and most C-15's around here after the reprogramming its all in the ECM neither of us swapped one hard part.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 3 weeks later...

I havent been on here for awhile to check all the replys(thank you everyone for your info),I did get a chance to stop at Mack garage yesterday just to make sure all the updates were on it. The service manager took my VIN and got on the computer to see what was put on it . He told me it has all the power its going to get . He did say about hooking it up again and reloading the computer,is this worth while or are they blowing smoke up my a**? When you guys say about calling PA im guessng you mean headquaters in Allentown.Whats the phone number and who do you talk to? would love to get this puppy running better. Had a P.O.S. Cat truck pass me today climbing a little hill.How embarassng

• 1 month later...

Havent done nothing to the sick puppy yet.My plan right now is to let the mack garage have first crack at it. I guess just to make sure that everything is what is suppose to be.I called a local diesel performance shop and talked to a guy.He said he wanted to see truck first but said injectors would probably be his first step. I also seen the steinbauer module(Illinois Dyno Center )also has one.I know a guy who says he knew a guy that had module in his truck(didnt know which one) and he said the truck ran great . But thats all i know right now

The Steinbauer will bring this thing to life!!! Just put on my 4th Mack Steinbauer, 3 on the ASET, 1 on a pre CCRS and getting awesome results!! Have put them on various other applications also. Can give me a call any time.

Thank you tdk1982 I think I'll phone my dealer and order one just nice to hear from someone who's used one in the real world. Power is my main problem but just kinda wondering if you've noticed any fuel milage improvment? Thanks again.