Why do "simple" maintenance tasks always lead to major work?

So I took my truck down to the tire shop today to get some new drives put on. I stopped off at Mack to get brake drums & shoes so I'd have something to do while they were changing the tires & save me having to pull the tires back off again in a few weeks...one of the reasons I like to use this tire shop.

Anyway, I've had steel inside/aluminum outside rims since I bought the truck. Not anymore. All 4 of my aluminum rims were cracked. They had some used steel rims, so I got them to save on cost....eventually I'd like to replace all 10 rims.

When I got to the right rear, the brake parts were covered in oil...so I didn't change them. Called Mack to have 'em set a wheel seal out for me....tomorrow's project.

Then, on the left side, there was excess grease inside both drums...and the S-cams weren't really LOOSE, but they weren't tight either. So, another phone call to Mack (minutes before they closed) to have them add a bushing kit and a pair of S-cams (just in case)....my list of things to do tomorrow is growing. I went ahead and put the new brakes on those wheels, because I won't grease it until I'm done with the brakes...so they shouldn't get greasy between then & now. It wasn't too bad, either...but since I know about it, I gotta fix it.

While I was there, I decided to have them rotate the front tires, because the front right was starting to show signs of uneven wear...they decided just to flip that tire around on the rim...no point in chewing up both tires. Anyway, once they had it remounted they couldn't get it balanced....machine calling for 28 oz of weight. They tried breaking it down again and spinning it on the rim....managed to get it down to 22 oz. Turns out, the wheel is wearing unevenly and was out-of-round. The "heavy" side of the tire had 3/32 more tread depth than the "light" side. So they looked at the front end to see if they could find what was causing the uneven wear...and the tie rod ends that were just put on 2 years ago are shot. So, they got the tire balanced as good as they could....10 oz of wheel weights and a 10 oz bag of beads inside the tire....and sent me on my way. MAN did that thing shake coming home! I'm supposed to go deliver this tank load today and run dumps Monday, but I think I'm just going to run 2 loads Monday and then pull into Mack to get the tie rod ends done and the truck aligned....then maybe next Saturday get new steer tires (even though I really can't afford 'em right now with everything else going wrong...but I can't afford to shake other parts loose or cause them to break by driving around longer than I have to on this out-of-round tire.

Why did I buy a truck again? :pat: At least I don't have a truck note anymore....

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Well, I got a late start working on it today...stopped at Walmart on the way home from church to pick up some form-a-gasket sealant stuff to use to reinsert the axle shaft after I replaced the wheel seal. Of course to get to the automotive section of the store you've got to walk past the groceries....and them danged Krispy Kremes were calling my name. I know I shouldn't go to Walmart hungry, and this is why....I walk in for a $4 tube of goo and walk out with $70 in groceries. Oh well...at least it's all stuff I should be able to make....and if I don't, it'll keep for a while.

Anyway, long story short, I got the wheel seal replaced, but didn't bother with either s-cam bushing. I figure I'm going to Mack tomorrow for the tie rod ends, front end completely checked out, and 3-axle aligned....they can do the bushings, too, while I watch/assist since it is something I've never done before. I'm not saying I couldn't figure it out...but it would probably be one of those "4-hours to do the first one, 10 minutes to do the second" type deals. It helps when you have a general idea what you're doing instead of trying to figure it out as you go.

Dispatch probably won't be happy, but I'm not to thrilled with what these loads they are wanting me to do are paying...I'd much rather take the time off while they don't have any good loads for me to get the truck ready so that I'm good to go if/when the good loads come up.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Yeah, they got the tie rod ends fixed and supposedly tightened up one of the kingpins. I haven't jacked the truck up yet to check the kingpin to see if it is any tighter than it was, so at this point I'm just taking their word for it. While they were working on that, they pulled the front wheels off and let me borrow a pickup to run a few towns over to a tire shop that had the right size/load rating tires in stock...got 'em mounted and got back to the Mack dealer for them to balance the tires and 3-axle align the truck. Turns out the only thing out of spec was the toe...which was to be expected considering they had just replaced the tie rod ends.

Truck drives like a brand new truck....nice & smooth....no bouncing, wobbling, shaking, vibrating, grinding, popping, or any of the other issues I've been having with it. It's actually FUN to drive again. :twothumbsup:

• Like 1

Got kingpins to do on mine ugh. Being an O/O is great till the repair bill hits
Yep, just dropped my truck off at the diesel shop on Wednesday, got the call last night i need a new rad hose, Some oil line is loose, front brakes & Drums, rear brake kit, something with the 5th wheel too, I'm at work and don't have the list in front of me... I just dropped it off for the rad hose and the oil leak and now i have 3 or 4 more items to deal with.. Oh well, thats the Christmas gift done for the truck then.. :tease:

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"