1986 Mack R688ST questions

Hello all. I'm looking for opinions on a truck that I'm interested in.

It's an '86 or '87 Mack R688ST E350 engine, Mack 10spd and camelback suspension, with air ride cab. I've been looking for a body job grain truck for awhile and this one popped up in the classifieds recently. It's supposed to have had a new clutch and rebuilt motor @ Redhead Mack in Saskatoon recently. I currently own a '97 Mack CH613 with an E7 and 13spd converted to 18spd as a tractor unit and am overall fairly satisfied with it.

Is the 350 Mack engine in the R series the same basic design as the E7 in my CH?

What specific areas should a person be looking at on an old R series? (Known problems)

The truck had the box & hoist installed in '07 and from the pictures the entire unit looks to be in very nice overall condition. They are asking $35,000 negotiable. Unit needs new drive tires. Also the truck will require an out of province inspection, it's Saskatchewan plated and I live in Alberta. Does anyone know what an average out of province inspection costs on a unit like this?

Any and all opinions are welcome!

Later,

Marc

The only thing I can see that you might not like is the 10 speed.It does not have as low of 1st and reverse as a 9,13,or 18 speed Mack.The 4V E6-350's in my opinion are a damn good engine.and the R model itself is bullet proof.You might want to check the frame on how it was strengthened,since it was a tractor originally.

That 10 speed won't have a real low gear for off roading. But it should be fine if your off road is pretty much hard flat surface. Or minimal soft ground. The 350 was a good engine and simple to work on. Camelback is a great set up, check the frame. Single heavy is better than double in my opinion. The r model was one of the best trucks Mack built. It's easy to work on and parts interchanged easy...