The C-Mack is stacked! Now it looks like a real truck.

Saturday morning I finished the exhaust stack project on the C-600. A previous owner removed the original stack, perhaps because of rust or because of clearance issues with the addition of a gravel box. I ordered 4" diameter 409 stainless elbows and clamps from Summit Racing and bought a 409 stainless, 70" long stack through Ebay. (I can post prices if anyone is interested) The UPS fella dropped everything off at my door on Wednesday and come Friday afternoon, I had time to begin.

Before the stack:

11-18-2012%2520001.JPG

Fabricating some parts to mount the stack, including a 1/4" thick steel bar that I bought at the local hardware store which I formed in my bench vise. The exhaust clamp I modified to insert a 3/8" diameter hex bolt:

11-18-2012%2520002.JPG

11-18-2012%2520003.JPG

Now with a stack, after removing the unused battery box to give me additional clearance. It could use a little tweaking but it works well:

11-18-2012%2520005.JPG

Here is how the stack cab mount looks, I wanted some flexibility to prevent things from cracking:

11-18-2012%2520008.JPG

I ordered an extra long stack so that I could cut off some pipe to be used between the bottom most elbow and run up behind the fuel tank. The remaining pipe became the stack. I didnt weld anything as I was concerned that I might screw it up and have to cut it back apart. I was able to use the existing flex pipe and simply cut it to a shorter length. I used a u-bolt clamp near the fuel tank bracket in case I decide to make a bracket to attach the stack to the fuel tank bracket. I may change it to a band clamp as it all seems fine so far after having hauled 30+ loads of dirt this weekend.

11-18-2012%2520013.JPG

11-18-2012%2520014.JPG

Looks good. You may want to incorporate a piece of rubber into your design. Constant vibration will will eventually break that single three eights bolt.

Yeah, you're probably correct. I'll look at some of my dad's trucks and see how they are fastened. I hope to have the pond finished this coming Sunday as the high temperature will be below freezing after that for a long time. If the truck holds together, I may get it done.

I like it, I bet it talks to you with that little pipe and the turnout so near the cab, I agree on the rubber I used United Pacific rubber bushings for peterbilt exhaust to do mine they work great for one piece over another and help support the weight of the stack, I dont know about that design might need some more engineering to make it last for ya.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Heres the pics I got of my exhaust mount, it works pretty good so far, I cut the factory mounts off the hangers and welded what you see on to mate with the mounting clamps.

post-5240-0-23945300-1353463349_thumb.jp

post-5240-0-24067700-1353463386_thumb.jp

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 1 month later...

I am glade to see there is some body else out there still uses good older truck for a little work from time to time it keeps them in better shape and you feal the joy of running the trucks . Idid change the exhaust on are c-607 from 3.5 in to 4 in under the cab , used the oridenal pipe from the manifold down a long side the transmission then stepped it up to 4 in pipes and elbes , then also installed a spark arrester or resinator to tone it down just a little but still sounds real good keep that good looking truck running thanks bob