EM6 285 question

V8dieselnut

I recently purchased a mack which from what the vin tells me (686) should have a 285 maxidyne motor in it. The truck is a mack CF fire truck and is a 1985. But from my past experience with driving a 1974 CF 686 285hp mack this one sounds and runs alot different. It does not have the crazzy turbo wistle like the older one had. Is there something wrong with mine that it does not make that siren like turbo sound It almost runs and sounds like a 350. How can I tell what I have and if theres a problem if its the 285. And what to look for to see what motor I have? Thanks

Edited by V8dieselnut

by 1985 they had done away with the tip turbine fan and side mounted intercooler that gave those engines their unique sound.It should have a front mounted ATAAC, but even though renamed the EM6-285,is still considered a 285 hp Maxidyne just like the old ENDT676,so that's why the model # is the same.

Can you remove the tip turbine and side mounted intercooler and use the engine in a chassis that allready has the air to air? Looks like you would need to change the intake manifold but other than that would it work?