Tie Rod (center link) Needed

Hey,

Anybody got a good, straight tie rod tube (center link) for an FA-535 front axle? The tube is about 2" diameter in the middle, and steps down at the ends. The ends of the tube are internally threaded 1-1/8" (12 threads per inch). The overall length is right at 60". I THINK the Mack part number may be 7 QH 243.

Mine is bent right through the threaded portion. The tie rod end is bent there as well. So, a curved tie rod end in a curved hole! That's not coming out!

I have a guy looking for one, but don't know when he will be able to concentrate on it enough to do me any good. So, I thought I'd ask the brain trust!

This is posted in both the "parts wanted" and "suspension" forums.

Kent

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Try Adelmans truck parts. Here in Canton, Ohio 330-456-3130

Or Phil (counterman6) at Global truck traders. Good guy to deal with. 603-239-7008

Does it have the same thread on each end? I know the B's are fine on one end, coarse on the other.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Or Phil (counterman6) at Global truck traders. Good guy to deal with. 603-239-7008

Does it have the same thread on each end? I know the B's are fine on one end, coarse on the other.

I'll give them a shout. Thanks.

As far as I can tell, these are 1-1/8" - 12 on both ends (LH thread on one end, and RH thread on the other).

Okay. I finally got to look closely at the tie rod ends. And, you are correct! The left side is 16 TPI, and the right side is 12 TPI. That would probably explain why 1 of the Mack tie rod ends crosses over to a standard number while the other one does not.

Thanks for the insight.

Kent

Yup, went through this last summer when I replaced my tie rod ends. I figured they be like a car (LH and RH). Wrong, they are different pitch so they change length as you turn it one way or the other. Strange way to do it, but it works.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Sent Adelman's a message. Haven't heard back yet.

You know, the "different pitch" method on the threads is not that weird. Years ago, I saw an automatic screw machine which was tapping a hole. The spindle turned the same direction all the time. The tap, likewise, turned the same direction as the part. The only way they could drive the tap in and remove it, without being able to reverse either, was to change the speed of the tap. When the spindle rotated faster, the tap pulled into the hole. When the spindle rotated slower, the tap backed out.

Basically, it's the same principle...differential movement. Think of it as the "delta" of the 2 pieces...speed on the tapping operation, and distance on the tie rod ends.

Okay. Enough geekiness for now!

Kent