"b" Model Powr Steering

Has anyone added hydraulic power steering to a standard "B" steering? Where is the pump mounted ETC. I have an early "R" model that I have been using as a parts truck, but there is nothing similiar . Gus :SMOKIE-RT:

Gus,

There are a couple of options that I have learned about - and maybe more choices that I don't know about.

First - the factory offered hydraulic power steering as an option, and at least one manufacturer offered a similar system (Shepherd).

These systems are driven from a coupler behind the generator that drives the hydraulic pump from the generator shaft.

Matt Pfahl (sp.?) will have better information on these systems. And he has parts available.

The second option might not work on a 673 engine. Beginning with the 711 and early Maxidynes there was a coupling thru

the air compressor that drove the hydraulic pump. I have one of these systems to try on my B67, should I decide to use my

711 engine. As I said - I don't know if this works on a 673 - it might.

The 3rd option is simple - the gym. Build up your arms, and put some weight on your trailer to lighten the steer axle.

These trucks do not steer hard if the front axle set up is done properly. Unless you are spending a lot of time in tight quarters,

power steering is probably not really necessary.

I would try Matt Pfahl, for more info.

Paul Van Scott

I have one of those pumps that hooks to the gen(have the star bushing too). I've thought of selling it off, but never really pushed it. Don't know the actual condition though looks nice.

Once I got radials put on my B, it steers really nice(even stopped). Not quite "power", but compared to the bias plies it's heaven!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks for the feedback. I have replaced the worn out generator with an alternator, so I guess I will have to think about that gym option. It is probably true that no more than I will be using it, with new tires and the caster set, it will probably be fine. I do plan on getting rid of the tandem and the good old camel back suspension, and going with an air ride singla axel, consequently I will need to add some front brakes, which it has never had. I am also looking for a set of Budd wheel hubs for the steering axel. Any help will be appreciated. I still haven't found out how to post photos on here. Gus :SMOKIE-RT:

• 2 weeks later...