E6 crankshaft

One bad dog

It was a known issue but it can be caused from Lugging the Engine a lot, Vibration, block not line bored correctly.

I have seen a few bad cranks and all were in trucks that were used in good service for 15+ years. So who knows if its was just worn out or over stressed?

If I recall some mack mechanics said to check the block for stress cracks near the back. I dont remember what year they updated the blocks for more stiffness but that was an issue as well.?

I would line bore the crank journals or try to at least check to see if its true.

hopefully a mack tech can chime in with more info.

Could be a line bore issue main caps not true or straight , something out of balance this would include rods which come in differant weights defective damper, flywheel clutch

not bolted up correctly or flywheel housing not true to block and crank , cracks in block up around rear main caps , loose main caps or alot of lugging the engine will do this also. You will need to do a thorough inspection of componets to see what realy happened . Where did it break and is this a dump, highway , logg truck etc ?

237's and 300;s were known for that. have a 237 sittin in my yard right now with a broke crank. only reason its still sittin is someone canabolized it, stole the flywheel and oil pan and the turbo is wore out otherwise id probably put a crank it it. cant see it right now for a hobby truck

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I had put a used crank and balancer

PUT A NEW BALANCER on it ! you aleady have a used one the balancer is likly the issue! the blocks rarely have issues unless the engine has been cranked up! then they tend to crack near the starter and you will find the main bolts in the pan!