Vent Window

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass - but - just take the screws out. Vents are easier to remove than door handles. It only takes a minute longer than wiping a mirror off on a post in the shed.

Over & out from Ignorant Ridge,

Tom

PS Barry, if you change this web site again, you are going to have to ride down here and log me on it. I've been 2 months trying to get logged on!!

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass - but - just take the screws out. Vents are easier to remove than door handles. It only takes a minute longer than wiping a mirror off on a post in the shed.

Over & out from Ignorant Ridge,

Tom

PS Barry, if you change this web site again, you are going to have to ride down here and log me on it. I've been 2 months trying to get logged on!!

Hi Tom, been wonderin how you been as we haven't heard from you in quite some time. You ever going to get over this way again?

I'm with you on not wanting to sound like a "smart ass". Once the window frame is out of the truck on a bench, I usually take a heat gun and warm the seal, glass, and frame to soften the bond holding the window in the frame. Usually have to use leather gloves to shield the hands from the heat. When the unit is hot to the touch, pinch the steel frame and the glass simutaneously and pull them apart slowly. Sometimes more heat is needed but never hot enough to melt the rubber seal or break the glass. This method works equally well on any encapsulated glass, or rubber stuck due to age. Patience is the key. Another handy tool that I use is an angled gasket scraper with rounded corners. This tool does not dig into any rubber, and I usually heat it with the gun also and massage the rubber away from the glass.

If reusing the original rubber seal(s), be sure to use a glass bedding compound. This is a semi fluid paste that is applied via a pump nozzel, (similar to a pump oiler) and will allow an old perimeter seal to eliminate water infiltration. I also use it on new seals as it never sets up hard and glass can be removed years later with little effort.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Tom, been wonderin how you been as we haven't heard from you in quite some time. You ever going to get over this way again?

I'm with you on not wanting to sound like a "smart ass". Once the window frame is out of the truck on a bench, I usually take a heat gun and warm the seal, glass, and frame to soften the bond holding the window in the frame. Usually have to use leather gloves to shield the hands from the heat. When the unit is hot to the touch, pinch the steel frame and the glass simutaneously and pull them apart slowly. Sometimes more heat is needed but never hot enough to melt the rubber seal or break the glass. This method works equally well on any encapsulated glass, or rubber stuck due to age. Patience is the key. Another handy tool that I use is an angled gasket scraper with rounded corners. This tool does not dig into any rubber, and I usually heat it with the gun also and massage the rubber away from the glass.

If reusing the original rubber seal(s), be sure to use a glass bedding compound. This is a semi fluid paste that is applied via a pump nozzel, (similar to a pump oiler) and will allow an old perimeter seal to eliminate water infiltration. I also use it on new seals as it never sets up hard and glass can be removed years later with little effort.

Rob

Well nothing "smart ass" about your answer, Thx for the info.

Well nothing "smart ass" about your answer, Thx for the info.

Hey there, no problem. I don't like to answer questions that I'm unsure of and did not know if you meant to release the glass from the frame, or remove the frame from the door. I've replaced so much glass through the years that it is quite routine and I do not like to appear condescending.

Most any questions concerning sheet metal or paint, I will answer unless I'm unsure of the basis of the question.

Don't hesitate to ask as I enjoy helping others in this hobby.

Best of luck with your project.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey there, no problem. I don't like to answer questions that I'm unsure of and did not know if you meant to release the glass from the frame, or remove the frame from the door. I've replaced so much glass through the years that it is quite routine and I do not like to appear condescending.

Most any questions concerning sheet metal or paint, I will answer unless I'm unsure of the basis of the question.

Don't hesitate to ask as I enjoy helping others in this hobby.

Best of luck with your project.

Rob

Rob, Actually I meant the frame from the door and I really hadn't looked at it before I posted the question. Someone gave me a better set off of a vehicle that has about 100 hornets living in it! The glass is good - a little "smoked" in a few spots-(both of mine are cracked) and the frames appear serviceable and even have the locks on them. Mine don't have locks and much of the channel is just about rusted out.

Bob