E9 cam removal

e9500v8

There is a retaining plate behind the gear to unbolt and I have been told there are special tools for holding the lifters up

magnetic looks like a stick with magnet on end and a o ring on it.

hold lifter up slide o ring down and it holds lifter up to get cam out . never done it myself but that is what others at local truck shop told me. oh! supposed to be a special tool for installing h rings on E-9 I believe. someone who knows more than I do about it will probably chime in. good luck Steve

I got it out. I am just going to put grease on them when i put it back in hope it works!

Go to a parts store and by some pocket magnets and they are cheap. You cant do it with out them.I saw a set of magnet sticks on ebay a year ago and they sold at the last second for less than i was going to bid but the clock got me. I think they was around 180.00 for a set of 12.

glenn akers

I tried the grease thing when I put a cam in my E-7, (DID NOT WORK). You can't get any left over oil out of the lifters and it seeps down and makes the lifters drop. I called my local mack dealer who I buy my parts from and were happy to loan me the magnets to do the job. If I had to do it again. I would push the truck outside and take the excavator and roll the truck on its side to do the work. LOL

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

I tried the grease thing when I put a cam in my E-7, (DID NOT WORK). You can't get any left over oil out of the lifters and it seeps down and makes the lifters drop. I called my local mack dealer who I buy my parts from and were happy to loan me the magnets to do the job. If I had to do it again. I would push the truck outside and take the excavator and roll the truck on its side to do the work. LOL

On an E7? wow you must have run into every possible issue I think that E7's in superliners are the easiest trucks I have ever touched, you can almost lay down behind the engine under the hood, I got used to working on T800KW's and set back Freightliners at Howard Baer you cant get two fingers around the engine, they SUCK!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

That will work but remenber to take mirrows off first.

glenn akers

Years ago at the dealer i worked at we had a tub of black grease sitting in the corner that would hold the lifter all day but have never found grease after that like this.

glenn akers

On an E7? wow you must have run into every possible issue I think that E7's in superliners are the easiest trucks I have ever touched, you can almost lay down behind the engine under the hood, I got used to working on T800KW's and set back Freightliners at Howard Baer you cant get two fingers around the engine, they SUCK!

No the E-7 was in one of my RD's. My superliner is a E-9, 500 and uses them ALL.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.