A follow-up to the "Optional Dashboard" thread

I was sent a PM by Doubleclutchinweasel regarding the dash with the angled gauges. Neither of us were able to update the original topic, so here's a copy of the PM:

I couldn't post to the old thread you started some time back related to the angle-gage-equipped center-mounted instrument panel. Too old, I guess.

To close this for good, I did find a reference to the "different" dash in the R-model in my factory service manual. They referred to it as an "auxiliary" gage panel, I believe.

But, if it's in the factory manual, that pretty much makes it a factory part!

So, yes! It WAS a factory dash option.

Kent

Jim

I was sent a PM by Doubleclutchinweasel regarding the dash with the angled gauges. Neither of us were able to update the original topic, so here's a copy of the PM:

I couldn't post to the old thread you started some time back related to the angle-gage-equipped center-mounted instrument panel. Too old, I guess.

To close this for good, I did find a reference to the "different" dash in the R-model in my factory service manual. They referred to it as an "auxiliary" gage panel, I believe.

But, if it's in the factory manual, that pretty much makes it a factory part!

So, yes! It WAS a factory dash option.

Kent

well the conversation i remember,,,we were trying to remember what they called that setup,,,,maybe optical version,,,too long ago cant remember was seen in a 1968 U model owners manual...bob

well the conversation i remember,,,we were trying to remember what they called that setup,,,,maybe optical version,,,too long ago cant remember was seen in a 1968 U model owners manual...bob

In this book, they just call it "auxiliary" (see pic). Not sure what else they may have called it through the years...we are talkin' about Mack here!

post-11199-0-84935600-1345986144_thumb.j

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

So it's purpose was to house additional gauges that weren't part of the standard cluster. I guess optional could also be an unofficial name for it.

The manual states that "additional" gages could be mounted in this panel, or that the standard gages could be moved there, if there was a tachograph (or tachographs) installed in the conventional location in the main dash. Apparently, if there was one or two recording instruments installed in the main dash, there was no room left for anything else.

The angled gages do look really cool, don't they?!

Kent

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

yup, does spice up the dash a little. my grandfather said the R400's he had and drove had the optional guage panel. they were 402's with 9 speed overgears and one was a chrysler 413 with an 18 speed double over. they had single tachographs and the guages off to the right. usually all thats there is the shiftin pattern and the headlite switches

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg