Honor Flight WWII vets

Lmackattack

Anyone been to one of these events? For those that dont know there is a fairly new WWII memorial in D.C. The Honor flight group sets up trips all across the US to send WWII vets to see the memorial. They put on a big show for the old guys and if anything lets them know that people still care about their dedicated service.

I Went to one last night in Chicago and it was pretty cool to see all the people that come out to support the WWII vets. Got to meet a tuskegee airman and a family that was waiting for there grandfather to return on the flight. got to talking and they showed me a pic he had saved when he liberated a concentration camp.

it was very touching to the hart to see how patriotic some people can be.

I first heard about it eary this year when my grandfather signed up. Sadly he passed away before he could make the trip.

Its Worth checking out....

http://www.honorflight.org/

http://www.honorflightchicago.org/

Hey Lmackattack

Good stuff. There is a big WWII weekend near us and I try to get out to attend every year or so. They always have special WWII vets as special guests and they area amazing to talk to. These guys and gals went through alot, but to hear them talk about it they say "its just what we had to do" I am always in awe to meet anyone of them

George

yea it was cool to meet them last night. I Spoke with a tuskeege airman. shook hands of most of the vets. one family was telling me that their dad had recently showed them a picture he took of a concentration camp that he helped liberate. She Said the pic showed the Jews just standing at the fence looking for help. He had never shared that photo with his family until about a year ago.

An amazing generation! My pop only talked with me about it after I came home from Viet Nam. He told me NOW I could understand. A number of years go I went with him and some othe 3rd Infantry vets to Anzio, Monti Cassino, Southern France and the Colmar Pocket (a slaughter zone). Brought a greater respect for what they did seeing the areas first hand. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE