old B-813 at the museum in Allentown

The comment on that link echoes my thoughts:

It's so unfortunate that the great Mack name will never be the same now that it's no longer headquartered in Allentown, PA. It's also unfortunate that Mack highway trucks are merely Volvo chassis and engine with a "Mack" looking hood and cab. I proudly worked for twenty years at the Mack Engineering Development and Test Center (now a museum) until forced to find new employment, as Volvo broke a promise and relocated all Engineering operations to Greensboro. Another American icon lost to history.

The sad reality as spoken by another former member of the Mack family. What Volvo has done to Mack Trucks, reduce a global icon to a mere shell of its former self, should be a crime. The only grateful people are the remaining US truckmakers who have lost a once respected competitor.

Report abuse

Edited by kscarbel

Unfortunately you're right, we all like Mack trucks for sure, but the Mack trucks we like aren't, for the most part, the new ones.

Sure I'm glad they still make Mack trucks and I'm glad they're now, in this country, all made in Macungie instead of the highway trucks being made on a joint

Volvo and Mack assembly line in Dublin, VA.

I'm an older guy and for me they quit being true Macks when the injection pump left the side of the engine and the word "Renault" found it's way

onto the crankcase breather.

I know the older motors wouldn't meet the emissions standards but they sure were a lot easier to work on----they made sense--- they didn't rely on smoke and mirrors!

Life, and things in general, sure used to a lot simpler and a lot more fun!!!!

Ron

im 37 yrs old & i wont own a Newer :mack1: give me an ole B , R or DM w/ an Thermodyne 673 ,711 or a E6 OR E7 :mack1: w/ all bulldog drive train ANYDAY . & not this volvoized crap they are pushing on us now days .

Bad & sad thing is the older Macks are being exported the other countrys across the world are running the hell out 40 yr old & 50 yr old bulldogs . & mean while volvo is phasing out the parts for the older macks . : :(

Just my 2 cents

later

:mack1: aka bulldog man on Bmt

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: