problem on cummins

Jocko

hey guys on my autocar whenever you hit the fuel pedal it has a slow reaction time to get up and it takes a while for the throttle to come back down. im not really sure what i could do to fix this. it has a cummins pt fuel pump.

We had a freight shaker doing similar to what your talking about .. I then spotted a leak on the pump out of what I guess was a vent. Anyway we took the pump off and had it rebuilt and it cured all 3 problems , not sure if yours is the same . Ours was a big cam cummins

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys on my autocar whenever you hit the fuel pedal it has a slow reaction time to get up and it takes a while for the throttle to come back down. im not really sure what i could do to fix this. it has a cummins pt fuel pump.

I think It's time for the pump to come off an get rebuilt, water is a big problem for those PT pumps, I would put a water sep. filter on the A-Car, a lot of those only had one fuel filter on them

BULLHUSK

May be sucking air but its easy to check. If you dont have a sight glass then make one. If the supply hose to the pump is a # 10 straflex then get two swivels andremove the thimble that screws on to the hose and dischard them. Go to the lumber yard or hardware store and buy some clear hose that will go over the fittings and then put a clamp over the hose. Put it inline at different places to look for air bubbles in the fuel when running half throdle.If you can find it then pull the tackometer cable off of the fitting its screwed on the pump.With the engine running maybe 1500 pour some fuel into the opening were the tack cable was and then watch for it to be sucked in side.Also put a little bit of luber plate or white lub in the weep hole of the front drive cover of the pump.Watch for it to be sucked in side. This can be done with engine running and bend the clear plastic hose over and pull a restriction on the hose from the pump.This will make it suck in faster.If you find the problem then post back with the details and maybe it can be repaired on the truck. glenn

glenn akers

• 3 weeks later...