International

Mack 3P

Latest that I heard.

"Hedge fund makes large investment in Navistar. Alabama-based Harbinger Capital Partners said in a filing this month that it bought 5.9 million shares of Navistar stock, or 7.9% of the total. Harbinger classified its stake in Warrenville-based Navistar — worth $367.5 million at the current share price — as a passive investment, indicating it doesn't intend to press for big changes at the company. But Harbinger has been anything but passive at Chicago-based Ryerson. Since acquiring 10% of the steel distributor late last year, Harbinger has accused executives of mismanagement, nominated a slate of candidates to challenge incumbent directors and forced the company onto the sale block. Some wonder if the $5.5-billion fund might drop its passive stance at Navistar and bid for the whole company, which has a market value of $4.3 billion. "They're a good example of a hedge fund that's moving closer to becoming a private-equity firm," says Michael Benson, a managing director of investment bank Stout Risius Ross Advisors LLC, in Farmington Hills, Mich. "They have a bent toward distressed (companies) and look for opportunities to create change." Crain's Chicago Business, 2007-05-28

Comment: And rumors persist that Iveco or MAN may be interested in Navistar. As noted in Industry Briefing on May 30, Navistar stock is up about 85 percent in 2007."

• 10 months later...
This might be slightly off topic, but I've been hearing rumors that International will be offering Cat engines in their Medium-Duty trucks and Buses (IC Corp) in the near future. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Here's another twist on that. I've read on other forums of a rumour that Cat has bought International. I thought that was crap because International has just released their own big bore engine (partnership with MAN) and all the dealers around here seem to be pushing Cummins. Cummins power was also used while developing the new Prostar. Well here's where it gets interesting. I'm in a local Cat dealer getting my ecm reflashed the other day and the mechanic, seeing how I'm into my "binder" says that a Cat rep was in the other day for a shop visit and he said Cat has just partnered with Navistar and they are working on a Cat truck. He would give no other details. But he did say Cat is losing sales due to Paccar coming out with their own engines and losing other oem's such as Mack. And that the new emmisions Cat's are too wide to fit most chassis, so they want to partner with someone that will design a truck that fits with Cat's plan. Seems hard to believe to me, but I've seen stranger things happen. Never would have thought International would buy GM's medium truck line and they did, so who knows. That's probably why you heard Cat motors will be going in the mediums. They said they are going to keep the GM line separate from the Int's and GM has always offered the small Cat's.

Here's another twist on that. I've read on other forums of a rumour that Cat has bought International. I thought that was crap because International has just released their own big bore engine (partnership with MAN) and all the dealers around here seem to be pushing Cummins. Cummins power was also used while developing the new Prostar. Well here's where it gets interesting. I'm in a local Cat dealer getting my ecm reflashed the other day and the mechanic, seeing how I'm into my "binder" says that a Cat rep was in the other day for a shop visit and he said Cat has just partnered with Navistar and they are working on a Cat truck. He would give no other details. But he did say Cat is losing sales due to Paccar coming out with their own engines and losing other oem's such as Mack. And that the new emmisions Cat's are too wide to fit most chassis, so they want to partner with someone that will design a truck that fits with Cat's plan. Seems hard to believe to me, but I've seen stranger things happen. Never would have thought International would buy GM's medium truck line and they did, so who knows. That's probably why you heard Cat motors will be going in the mediums. They said they are going to keep the GM line separate from the Int's and GM has always offered the small Cat's.

Hmmmm. That actually makes sense as everyone says that CAT is the odd man out. Mack stopped offering CAT a while back I believe late 90's or early 2000 when they signed a contract with Cummins to be their exclusive supplier of big bore power. PACCAR is readying their MX engine and they are also rebranding cummins ISB and ISL engines as PX6 and PX8 engines. International is also readying their MAXXFORCE 12 and 13 but will still offer CAT engines. Freightliner still offers CAT engines in all of their brands (Sterling, Westernstar) but is going to push their Detroit DD15 engine.

I used to think it would be cool if CAT developed their own truck and now that might be closer to reality. It only makes sense as they not only have engines but also offer constant torque automatic transmissions for all of their on highway engines. And that is directly competing with Allison but Allison doesent have a big 8 speed to handle the C15, CAT does. And CAT is one of the only vendors to offer a 2050 foot pound engine aside from Volvo's D16 and soon Mack with the MP10. An people have said Volvo got the D16 design from Cummins.

CAT has the world wide dealer and service network. Marketing a truck wouldn't be that hard for them.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

hello guys

for your attention and your info mack 3p man belonges to the volkswagen group they belonge to the porsche group and they just take over all the shares off the wallenberg familie and they were the bosses over scania and now the porsche group has 51 % off all shares off SCANIA and they fall now unther the volkswagen group so like volkswagen,man and scania you see whats happening in europe its the same as in the US. you grow ore you die. the big boss is the grandson from ferdinand porsche callt ferdinand piech. the wallenbergs has sold the company for 2 miljard euro s thats about 3 miljard dollar. the right of say is about 86%in scania it was a matter of time that this was happening .greetings rene member of the DUTCHMACKFANCLUB :mack1:

• 2 weeks later...

More fuel for the fire :D I just got back from the big truck show in Toronto. I was talking to reps from Western Star and Detroit Diesel and they said Freightliner is planning to also drop Cat, and go back to Cummins as their only other supplier. And the Cat reps said they are definetly not going out of the engine business. They showed their new transmissions and said they are taking a wait and see approach before they annonce their 2010 emmissions solution. They also said it is their engine business that makes it financially possible to develop all the new technologies for their equipment line engines.

Wow. You never know who owns who anymore :wacko:

More fuel for the fire :D I just got back from the big truck show in Toronto. I was talking to reps from Western Star and Detroit Diesel and they said Freightliner is planning to also drop Cat, and go back to Cummins as their only other supplier. And the Cat reps said they are definetly not going out of the engine business. They showed their new transmissions and said they are taking a wait and see approach before they annonce their 2010 emmissions solution. They also said it is their engine business that makes it financially possible to develop all the new technologies for their equipment line engines.

Wow. You never know who owns who anymore :wacko: