is it necessary to re-torque heads on '79 676

and if so what is the proper procedure? i worked on motorcycles and cars since 13 years of age and being 53 now here i am asking dumb questions.

and if so what is the proper procedure? i worked on motorcycles and cars since 13 years of age and being 53 now here i am asking dumb questions.

It kind of depends on the year, if it's original or rebuilt, and when. When that engine came out asbestos was in the beginnings of being phased out. The calcium silicate material that was replacing asbestos was much harder and had less compressibility through it's service life and thus the "no retorque" head gaskets were born. I have seen several times through the years head gasket bolts and nuts on studs vary in torque up to about 15% even with the engine being a low mile recent rebuild. The heat and cold cycles are the reason along with the vibration of operation.

The end of the story could be stated as it can't hurt anything to retorque them.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

thank you guys for all the info, i got my block all ready last winter and my heads are due soon from Broadway Machine in OKC Oklahoma. i now feel secure enough to tackle this expensive adventure.

Broadway machins now i ant tought of them in 25 years. Is Linda still the owner?I used them alot back in the eary 80s or late 70s and they had a store in Tulsa also.But Broadway was around back in the mid 60s that i know of.

glenn akers

Broadway machins now i ant tought of them in 25 years. Is Linda still the owner?I used them alot back in the eary 80s or late 70s and they had a store in Tulsa also.But Broadway was around back in the mid 60s that i know of.

I'm trying to think of where they are? I know where Blumenthal's is off Reno downtown in OKC.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I dont know cause when we used them they had a shop here in Tulsa to do rods and heads but the okla city store would come and pick up things that weht to the city. For the last 25 years i guess i have used Memorial Machine here and they also have a shop at the city. They have got into very large engine machine work.But started with truck engines.

glenn akers

I dont know cause when we used them they had a shop here in Tulsa to do rods and heads but the okla city store would come and pick up things that weht to the city. For the last 25 years i guess i have used Memorial Machine here and they also have a shop at the city. They have got into very large engine machine work.But started with truck engines.

I'm thinking there was a machine shop up Walker Ave. in OKC and that may have been Broadway but it's been about 20 years.

One of my cohorts at work is hauling one of my V8 injection pumps to the place in OKC next week for evaluation/rebuild. Wanting the 375hp output + about 15%.

Rob

I guess that would be going to Thompson Diesel. I have a E7 i need to send in soon. The store here of Thompson can do the mack pumps now.The one on my supperliner was sent up there about two years ago.

Yes it is. I'm not going to go to OKC for any more classes for the rest of my tenure I'm sure, but others still have training there.

Rob