E6 350 problems

bobcotkg

Hi All,

I have an E6 3504 valve in my Superliner. It has been a very reliable engine, until recently. It has had the gray smoke coming out the pipes for a while now, and knew it was about time. In January I was coming down over a hill when it started knocking. Then the knocking quit and I drove it until I could get off road. Ended up going home tearing it apart to find a melted looking piston and bent valve on #5. I just stuck one piston in it, a set of injectors and one reman PAI head. The injection lines were seaping from the head, where they meet the injectors. I ordered new lines to put on. In this time it started having quite a bit of crankcase pressure and smoked out of the breather, smelled just like diesel. I also noticed the oil became thin and smelled like fuel. I was putting out of the woods and it started knocking on me again last week. I feared the worst, but the noise quit and I drove it home. It didn't run right. We thought it was a fuel knock that went away. I put the new lines on and changed the oil. Nothing was better. #4 dead. Took head off only to find #4 piston damaged severly. #6 looks funny like it will be next.

I am planning on doing a complete inframe this time. But question is; What is going on with the melted looking pistons ect? I've had this truck for 7 years or so, and put many miles on it and never even a glimmer of a problem with the engine, or really anything. I have done nothing to "hop it up" because I didn't want problems and heard 350s didn't hold up it you messed with them. I don't know how many miles are on engine. It shows 600k on odometer. Engine has tag where it was remacked in '90.

I don't want it to mess up again in a couple months. Any ideas?

Bob

• Like 1

Hi All,

I have an E6 3504 valve in my Superliner. It has been a very reliable engine, until recently. It has had the gray smoke coming out the pipes for a while now, and knew it was about time. In January I was coming down over a hill when it started knocking. Then the knocking quit and I drove it until I could get off road. Ended up going home tearing it apart to find a melted looking piston and bent valve on #5. I just stuck one piston in it, a set of injectors and one reman PAI head. The injection lines were seaping from the head, where they meet the injectors. I ordered new lines to put on. In this time it started having quite a bit of crankcase pressure and smoked out of the breather, smelled just like diesel. I also noticed the oil became thin and smelled like fuel. I was putting out of the woods and it started knocking on me again last week. I feared the worst, but the noise quit and I drove it home. It didn't run right. We thought it was a fuel knock that went away. I put the new lines on and changed the oil. Nothing was better. #4 dead. Took head off only to find #4 piston damaged severly. #6 looks funny like it will be next.

I am planning on doing a complete inframe this time. But question is; What is going on with the melted looking pistons ect? I've had this truck for 7 years or so, and put many miles on it and never even a glimmer of a problem with the engine, or really anything. I have done nothing to "hop it up" because I didn't want problems and heard 350s didn't hold up it you messed with them. I don't know how many miles are on engine. It shows 600k on odometer. Engine has tag where it was remacked in '90.

I don't want it to mess up again in a couple months. Any ideas?

Bob

You may have had bad injector tips for quite some time. Sounds like a couple of cylinders were overfueling and melted the pistons. Sometimes you can feel this, sometimes you can't. I like to pull injections periodically and send them in for recalibration as they really are a neglected wear item.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Laughing, No I haven't ran it on gasoline, although, I have heard of people that have tried with catastrofic failure! But it is a question that had to be asked

Another friend brought up timing. I haven't done anything to it, but doesn't mean something isn't worn enough to let it be out enough. I will definately check the boost, something I hadn't really thought of. I don't let pyro go over 1000, but I suppose it could be hotter in the cylinders than after turbo.