Just bought a FL70 with a van and power tailgate...

unclebilly

I got an email from a buddy this morning... There's a Freightliner at the Police auction.

I said I wouldn't be going but if he went, I'd split the Freightliner with him to haul our race car. Needless to say, we bought it for roughly 1/2 what our max lowball bid was going to be.

I haven't seen it yet but it has a 24' van, power tailgate, Cat 175 hp 3126 engine, standard trans, air brakes, and is a 2000 with 326,000 kms on it.

I have no idea what gearing it has, nor have I heard it run or driven it yet.

We plan to gt it safety'd, install some tie downs, and modify the tailgate to lift he race car.

Does anybody know what these are like? What would this be like on the highway? Am I allowed to wear my Mack shirt when I drive this?

Those are just plain, pretty simple trucks. I buy them often to resell them or to remove the box from and make a grain truck or something out of the chassis. You will get tired quickly of the 175 horse engine, but with the standard trans. it won't be bad. I have had Cat uprate the horsepower before, but that was starting out with a 210 horsepower version, and going to 250 or 275. I bet they could do that one as well. The interiors tend to get loose, and my biggest problem has been things like door latches and little things.

I bet you got a good truck for the money. I just sold an FL80 that was a great truck and I had a FL70 two weeks ago that I made into a hay hauler that the guy just loves now.

Post a picture for fun if you think about it - I would just try and wear a Mack hat when you drive it!

Pitt Ohio had several FL 70 straight trucks years ago and still had some running when I started there. The ones I drove had 4-500k miles on them but still seemed pretty tight. The dash layout was simple, if not boring, but the cab was roomy and visibility was great. They had Cat engines, I don't know the HP but they were pretty lame but then again, the trucks were well worn when I drove them. The guys who put the bigs miles on them liked them, at least at my terminal.

Jim

I had a look at the truck today. It has a 230 hp cat 3126, 6spd synchromesh trans (no tach), power tailgate that works perfect, all we need is a key and we'll see how it runs.

It will probably need a w/s for safety.

We are probably going to register it as an RV.

I had a look at the truck today. It has a 230 hp cat 3126, 6spd synchromesh trans (no tach), power tailgate that works perfect, all we need is a key and we'll see how it runs.

It will probably need a w/s for safety.

We are probably going to register it as an RV.

Don't run that engine hard as they are not real durable. This is only my opinion but I went through three of them on fairly short order at about 25,000# cargo load in one truck, and a very careful driver.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Don't run that engine hard as they are not real durable. This is only my opinion but I went through three of them on fairly short order at about 25,000# cargo load in one truck, and a very careful driver.

Rob

Maybe that's why ours lasted. We (almost) never went over 15k. I can't vouch for all the drivers, though

Jim

I bought a new GMC with a four car hauler bed for salvage work and that was the worst truck of the fleet. Two engines replaced under warranty, and one a 50/50 split. I jerked the bed and installed it onto a 4300 series International with a DT530 and never looked back.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I got a key made up for this unit today, it started right up so I took it for a drive.

It runs fine, the brakes work, it drives straight, seems to be fairly tight, only one clearance light is burnt out. It doesn't have an engine brake... The tranny is full synchromesh so it drives like a pickup.

Sounds like you got a deal! I always like to buy vehicles without a key. Usually it was a repo and nothing is more wrong with it other than the pissed off former owner flushed it down the john!

I have gotten to know all the locksmiths and if it is new enough, you can usually get a key based on the VIN from the dealer if you show proof of ownership.

Got a photo?

• 3 weeks later...

I finally took this thing on the hi way last night. It runs ok, has nowhere near the power of my Mack, but it's manageable.

It has a shake at 60 MPH but is fine all the way up to 55. I wouldn't want to drive it cross country but we'll take it to Spokane in May.

Time to scout up a better geared axle?

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>