Help me troubleshoot my stereo.

1996 RD690S triaxle. Stock speakers, aftermarket head unit. Just put in the new head unit and harness this morning to replace old aftermarket one. I'm getting almost no volume out of the speakers. I have to turn the volume all the way up, and even then, you can barely hear anything from the speakers.

I've never torn into anything like this before, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips before I did. It's a company truck, but the mechanic has bigger issues, so I'm gonna stay after work and get into it myself. Any tips?

If you can hear anything from the speakers chances are you have a blown power supply to the amplifyers in the chassis. Hardly worth working with these days as they are considered a "throw away" item due to VLSI and complexity. Open the unit up, there may be a fuse blown.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Where would I find the amps to take a look at them?

Take the case apart, they will have cooling fins stamped, or moulded into them and usually are bolted/screwed to a piece of aluminum.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I know I'm gonna have to pull the headliner down, and I am planning on inspecting the wires/grounds.

Rob, other than the head unit and speakers, I have no idea where anything else is located. Please be more specific as to where the amps themselves are located inside the cab.

I know I'm gonna have to pull the headliner down, and I am planning on inspecting the wires/grounds.

Rob, other than the head unit and speakers, I have no idea where anything else is located. Please be more specific as to where the amps themselves are located inside the cab.

It should all be one unit.

Rob