2000 mack cl700 clutch help

Well i got a 2000 mack cl with some serious clutch issues. There is no free pedal at all. I've adjusted clutches in a few peterbilt 379's that went smoothly. This one has a cable that's run from the pedal to inside the clutch area. Basically, is there any other components compared to the peterbilts that i should be aware of? And is the procedure basically the same? 1/2 inch for clutch brake and 1 1/2- 2" of free pedal? Any help is of course appreciated.

That's assuming that the last knucklehead who tried to adjust the clutch didn't mess with the linkage though. That would be assuming from the factory linkage/cable adjustments. While doin one of the pete clutch adjustments I was told that the linkage and clutch brake were replaced not too long ago. They forgot to tighten one of the jam nuts, or just didn't tighten it enough. I had to adjust the linkage and the pressure plate to get the right free play and brake adjustment.

So basically, if i adjust the pressure plate to get the right free travel and the clutch brake is more then 1/2 or 9/16 whatever spec is, the clutch is no good? I can't see that being the case everytime... Is there a general rule of thumb for the clutch brake? I've always considered that with the clutch pedal fully depressed the clutch brake should just grab on to a .010 feeler gauge. Is that accepted across the board?

Here is another way to look at it. Adjust the pressure plate to get 1/2 space between the brg retainer and the brake disc. Do that first and then set your brake with the linkage adjustment to about 1 inc off of the floor. Then your free thravel is going to be in range if its 1 or 2" from the top.But get the 1/2 spacer first.

glenn akers

• 2 weeks later...

When I took the inspection cover off a few thin peices of metal fell out. I didn't bother trying to adjust it at all. Me and another guy replaced the clutch yesterday. Took a little over 8 hours. Including the hour it took to send out the flywheel and a pizza break. I felt that was good time. After getting everything out there was even more metal in the bell housing. Apon inspection it looked like one of the clutch discs were installed backwards. A few of the dampner springs had a nice groove worn through them. This truck was bought new in 2000 and i'm told was the original clutch.... Shame on you Mack.. :thumbsdown:

When I took the inspection cover off a few thin peices of metal fell out. I didn't bother trying to adjust it at all. Me and another guy replaced the clutch yesterday. Took a little over 8 hours. Including the hour it took to send out the flywheel and a pizza break. I felt that was good time. After getting everything out there was even more metal in the bell housing. Apon inspection it looked like one of the clutch discs were installed backwards. A few of the dampner springs had a nice groove worn through them. This truck was bought new in 2000 and i'm told was the original clutch.... Shame on you Mack.. :thumbsdown:

I guess I'll be doing mine. I have been getting metal pieces out of mine and get alot of racket. if it is out and sitting still. Got to raise the idle up and the pedal still bumps around. I am going to finish this load and try to get closer to Fl and dh home from where ever if I can get close enough

I guess I'll be doing mine. I have been getting metal pieces out of mine and get alot of racket. if it is out and sitting still. Got to raise the idle up and the pedal still bumps around. I am going to finish this load and try to get closer to Fl and dh home from where ever if I can get close enough

I have been saying a little prayer for you guys whenever I hear the word clutch - which has been a lot as I have been cursing one in the shop right now - damn Isuzu - had to order a stupid clutch alignment tool for the crazy splines they used which of course is backordered. If it does not come in soon I am going to go cut a shaft off a used transmission and get this thing out of there.

Hope you get home before yours gives up. I am not worried about you, but Ann should not have to walk home!

I have everything needed except the parts to change it out, just get close and we'll make it happen.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.