Poor Killer is ailing

Every now and again, I have to take lil cover off back of killers generator, spray some electric cleaner in there, and hold a stick of commutator cleaner against it while its running to get ole killer up and ginning again. The power steering pump runs off back of generator and leaks just a lil oil inside generator, making a real mess of commutator and brushes. I dont have no idee where to find seal for that lil pump. Today, none of that would cure Killer. Guess its bout time to jerk it outta there and give it a really good cleaning, new brushes, and a good grousing. I really like to see my amp meter leaning to the right when Im hammering on Killer. I dont much like charging batteries either. Gonna have to investigate this phenomenum tommorrow,,,,,randyp

Every now and again, I have to take lil cover off back of killers generator, spray some electric cleaner in there, and hold a stick of commutator cleaner against it while its running to get ole killer up and ginning again. The power steering pump runs off back of generator and leaks just a lil oil inside generator, making a real mess of commutator and brushes. I dont have no idee where to find seal for that lil pump. Today, none of that would cure Killer. Guess its bout time to jerk it outta there and give it a really good cleaning, new brushes, and a good grousing. I really like to see my amp meter leaning to the right when Im hammering on Killer. I dont much like charging batteries either. Gonna have to investigate this phenomenum tommorrow,,,,,randyp

I've put front seals in those pumps in the past but never by application. Any good bearing supply house can get the seal by the number that is on the seal itself, or if not mangled when it comes out, measurements.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've put front seals in those pumps in the past but never by application. Any good bearing supply house can get the seal by the number that is on the seal itself, or if not mangled when it comes out, measurements.

Rob

Thanks Rob, There is a good bearing supply house in next local town. I just gotta catch it between moves and get it in and out pretty quick. I dont know what brand that lil pump is, havent delved in to in enough yet. It would sure be handy ifn I already had that pintle trailer now. randyp

Thanks Rob, There is a good bearing supply house in next local town. I just gotta catch it between moves and get it in and out pretty quick. I dont know what brand that lil pump is, havent delved in to in enough yet. It would sure be handy ifn I already had that pintle trailer now. randyp

It is an EATON pump vendored to Mack. I have one on the shelf if you want to install it while you rebuild yours to eliminate down time. I know mine was good but hasn't been used in about 10 years.

You could also put about a 3.5gpm external pump into the system and do away with the original. With pressure limited to less than 1500psi in the system, a single "A" series drive belt will suffice.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It is an EATON pump vendored to Mack. I have one on the shelf if you want to install it while you rebuild yours to eliminate down time. I know mine was good but hasn't been used in about 10 years.

You could also put about a 3.5gpm external pump into the system and do away with the original. With pressure limited to less than 1500psi in the system, a single "A" series drive belt will suffice.

Rob

Rob

Thanks Rob, I may give you a call on that when i see what I find out,,preciate it,,,,randyp

Forgive my lack of knowledge of the older trucks, but does it really have a generator ?

That aside, I hope your able to solve the problem.

Yes, it does as original equipment. I think it was about 1970, 1971 timeframe when alternators started to replace generators on heavy trucks for the most part.

Rob

Yes, it does as original equipment. I think it was about 1970, 1971 timeframe when alternators started to replace generators on heavy trucks for the most part.

Rob

That late? I probably saw a few back then but didn't know what I was looking at.

Thanks.

Jim

That late? I probably saw a few back then but didn't know what I was looking at.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that alternators were optional earlier, but I've seen mid 1970's trucks with generators still installed. Not for certain when alternators became the only OEM installed charging system.

Rob

I'm pretty sure that alternators were optional earlier, but I've seen mid 1970's trucks with generators still installed. Not for certain when alternators became the only OEM installed charging system.

Rob

1993 in Texas.

Thanks.

Im sure over time some people upgraded theirs to an alternator. A generator has piss poor voltage regulation and most only charged at a certain engine RPM range. An alternator can charge at just about any engine speed thanks to its electronic voltage regulator.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Im sure over time some people upgraded theirs to an alternator. A generator has piss poor voltage regulation and most only charged at a certain engine RPM range. An alternator can charge at just about any engine speed thanks to its electronic voltage regulator.

Alternators with vibrating and mechanical voltage regulation were very stable also, as were generators. The problem with early alternators was they could be short lived with the constant vibration of a diesel engine. It took a few years for these inherent problems to be engineered out. Ever wonder why a 100 ampere alternator for a large truck is so much larger than it's 100 ampere rated automobile counterpart? 100 amps is 100 amps correct? It is a duty cycle thing. There is more surface area and commutation rating, (if brush type) to dissapate heat to sustain life. If you pull 100 amperes constant out of a 10SI series Delcotron, (for example) it would prolly be hard pressed to last a 24 hour run at that rating. A 100 amper 25SI Delcotron, (again for example) would still be putting that same amount of power out a month, and possibly years later.

Rob