p7100 injection pump

bkess76

• 9 months later...

I wsa unaware there was such an animal, oh well Ive been out of the loop before.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

They're inline pumps for 5.9 cummins and I think the 8.3 cummins too.

Yeah but not a V8 thats the am=nimal I was speaking of, I still have an adjustable fuel plate for a 12v 5.9 with a P7100.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

We were lucky to find one for my pulling truck when the ambac pump went out. We decided to go to the Bosch inline. We found one that was ready to go, but it wasnt cheap. It also had 13mm plungers in it too. On another note, I hated doing the conversion from the v-pump to the inline.

The video is an electronic/common rail injection duramax that was converted to mechanical injection. IMHO its pretty slick. I'm just wrapping up a duramax head gasket job and started thinking "what's involved converting this engine to a mechanical pump" when I came across this video.

I just did a water pump on a duramax at work those motors are a tough one to work on everything is so cramped had to to the balancer off the motor just to take the water pump off

I had an 02 3/4 ton Chevy with 318k on it I just traded in last July and never had to do any engine work, I actually have one in my 08 4500 Chevy work truck too.

Oh yeah I was talking about a duramax by the way.

I had an 02 3/4 ton Chevy with 318k on it I just traded in last July and never had to do any engine work, I actually have one in my 08 4500 Chevy work truck too.

You lucked out with the 02 3/4 ton then. Most common problem with those year d-max were the injectors. They are a pain in the ass you have to remove the valve covers and eveyrthing else get to them. GM changed these injectors design now so you don't have to do all that work now. This is my second duramax because I had such good luck with the first. I only had it 4 days when the head gaskets went lol I ended up pulling the motor for them and a leaky oil pan gasket.

That one damn water pump bolt is buried behind the balancer! But the plus side of it is the balance slides right off the crank no need to pull it.

You lucked out with the 02 3/4 ton then. Most common problem with those year d-max were the injectors. They are a pain in the ass you have to remove the valve covers and eveyrthing else get to them. GM changed these injectors design now so you don't have to do all that work now. This is my second duramax because I had such good luck with the first. I only had it 4 days when the head gaskets went lol I ended up pulling the motor for them and a leaky oil pan gasket.

That one damn water pump bolt is buried behind the balancer! But the plus side of it is the balance slides right off the crank no need to pull it.

they only slide off when not rusted on i had to pry it off after putting a half a can of pb plaster in there to lube it up a real pain in the ass

well the injector issue got a couple of my friends and every time I was brought in to diagnose the issue I always asked how often do you change your fuel filters and the answer was always the same, they stutter spit and say I uh well I change it every couple of oil changes. I always changed my fuel filter at every oil change and that was every 5-8000 miles, I changed my external trans filter every oil change and flushed and filled all the fluids front to rear once a year. There is something to be said for a serious maintenance plan.

• Like 1

well the injector issue got a couple of my friends and every time I was brought in to diagnose the issue I always asked how often do you change your fuel filters and the answer was always the same, they stutter spit and say I uh well I change it every couple of oil changes. I always changed my fuel filter at every oil change and that was every 5-8000 miles, I changed my external trans filter every oil change and flushed and filled all the fluids front to rear once a year. There is something to be said for a serious maintenance plan.

Maybe that's why I never had an ounce of trouble with my previous duramax. I serviced it every 8-10k miles depending on the time of the year. That included new fuilds once a year and grease every interval. This one the previous owner claims regular pm but Ive found a 3 different brand filters with 3 different dates wrote on them so who knows. I do know that the design of the emmisions crap is horrible at best...you have an egr valve dumping sooty gasses across from a pcv valve venting mists of oil infront of a turbo sucking it all in. This makes for clogged intake ports and turbo that looks like the bearings are out of it leaking oil into the inter cooler piping. I blocked off the egr, wired in a circuit to fool the computer called a fingerstick, then re routed the pcv to vent like a Mack 673; out into the atmosphere. Lol