Delivery Opportunity

I ran this message by Barry last night - he suggested it be posted here -

We are delivering a large piece of equipment to Altoona, Pa. on or about April 09 or 10 on one of our trucks. Our intention is to deadhead from Altoona to Bloomington, Ind. to load an old Peterbilt and a bunch of antique parts, then go down to south/central Kentucky and pick up an IH Transtar tractor for a friend of ours, and bring the whole pile home to upstate NY for our personal enjoyment. We can reverse the loading order with no problem.

The point of all this is - we will have an empty 52' spread axle step deck trailer and a four axle tractor in southwest Pa. on Monday April 09, or Tuesday April 10.

We like to help out antique and hobby truck people if possible.

We would be available to pick up an old vehicle or two, or heavy parts for old trucks, from the general Pittsburgh/Altoona, central Pa., or southeast Ohio areas going to Indiana, western Ohio, Kentucky or northern Tennessee. Basically we could do this for the price of fuel from point to point plus fuel from your delivery point to our nearest loading point (either north/central Ky., or southwest Ind.) Can't get any cheaper than that. We are going to make the trip empty anyway - this just defrays the cost a little.

The catch is - it has to be an antique or a hobby vehicle, and you have to have a method of getting it on and off the 30" high trailer deck. (loading ramp, fork lift etc.) We do not carry ramps or winches.

If you are interested - Please contact me here on this site, or by phone at (585) 509-4783 ASAP.

Thanks,

Paul Van Scott

Paul,

This is a great idea - even though I can't take advantage of your offer, I appreciate what you are doing!

Our hobby is expensive enough and without real potential of financial payback. What you are doing is promoting the restoration of old trucks and should be applauded (and here is mine :clap: ).

Thanks again for what you are doing, keep up the good work, and may the road always rise up to greet you!

Scott

Long live the :mack1: !

I ran this message by Barry last night - he suggested it be posted here

Absolutely! This is what a forum community is all about! Friends willing to help friends for the good of the hobby! Keep us posted Paul!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

I ran this message by Barry last night - he suggested it be posted here -

We are delivering a large piece of equipment to Altoona, Pa. on or about April 09 or 10 on one of our trucks. Our intention is to deadhead from Altoona to Bloomington, Ind. to load an old Peterbilt and a bunch of antique parts, then go down to south/central Kentucky and pick up an IH Transtar tractor for a friend of ours, and bring the whole pile home to upstate NY for our personal enjoyment. We can reverse the loading order with no problem.

The point of all this is - we will have an empty 52' spread axle step deck trailer and a four axle tractor in southwest Pa. on Monday April 09, or Tuesday April 10.

We like to help out antique and hobby truck people if possible.

We would be available to pick up an old vehicle or two, or heavy parts for old trucks, from the general Pittsburgh/Altoona, central Pa., or southeast Ohio areas going to Indiana, western Ohio, Kentucky or northern Tennessee. Basically we could do this for the price of fuel from point to point plus fuel from your delivery point to our nearest loading point (either north/central Ky., or southwest Ind.) Can't get any cheaper than that. We are going to make the trip empty anyway - this just defrays the cost a little.

The catch is - it has to be an antique or a hobby vehicle, and you have to have a method of getting it on and off the 30" high trailer deck. (loading ramp, fork lift etc.) We do not carry ramps or winches.

If you are interested - Please contact me here on this site, or by phone at (585) 509-4783 ASAP.

Thanks,

Paul Van Scott

HI Paul, I left you a voicemail concerning this offer. Please return my call at 309-219-2070.

Thanks, in advance.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks to everyone who called - this idea has been really well received.

We are planning to move Rob Swallow's R-model, as Rob was the 1st caller.

And just to prove that these things can work out - Rob's truck is being delivered, at his request, to the same place that we are loading up our own stuff !

There were at least four calls with vehicles close to Altoona, Pa. to be moved within the area that I specified.

When the situation comes up, we will do this again.

I wonder if we, as BMT members, could maintain a current list of available loads and available trucks for hire on our website? The currency of the list is most important, and probably the hardest to keep up.

The list should be limited, at least in my mind, to antique and hobbyist vehicles and parts, only, and to trucks that are willing to work by sharing the costs.

We are all moving around the country, in vehicles of all sizes, all the time. Might as well do it loaded. And if we can help out each other, and help out our hobby - all the better.

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Paul Van Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who called - this idea has been really well received.

We are planning to move Rob Swallow's R-model, as Rob was the 1st caller.

And just to prove that these things can work out - Rob's truck is being delivered, at his request, to the same place that we are loading up our own stuff !

There were at least four calls with vehicles close to Altoona, Pa. to be moved within the area that I specified.

When the situation comes up, we will do this again.

I wonder if we, as BMT members, could maintain a current list of available loads and available trucks for hire on our website? The currency of the list is most important, and probably the hardest to keep up.

The list should be limited, at least in my mind, to antique and hobbyist vehicles and parts, only, and to trucks that are willing to work by sharing the costs.

We are all moving around the country, in vehicles of all sizes, all the time. Might as well do it loaded. And if we can help out each other, and help out our hobby - all the better.

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Paul Van Scott

Now this is the way things should go. Paul was instrumental in the coordination of picking up, and the delivering of my R model from start to finish. I feel the cost was very fair and am pleased that I could help offset the cost of the operation.

We need more participants in the club like this. As Paul suggests: Let's get an active "need to have hauled list" that is updated regularly, posted for others to use to keep costs afordable.

Thanks again Paul.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Now this is the way things should go. Paul was instrumental in the coordination of picking up, and the delivering of my R model from start to finish. I feel the cost was very fair and am pleased that I could help offset the cost of the operation.

We need more participants in the club like this. As Paul suggests: Let's get an active "need to have hauled list" that is updated regularly, posted for others to use to keep costs afordable.

Thanks again Paul.

Rob

:clap: top idear

:clap: top idear

I'm going to go out a little further with this idea that Paul has brought up and I think is worthy of fostering and support:

Within the next couple of months I will have more time on my hands devoted to older trucks so here are some idea(s) that I propose:

1. We could ask Barry to create an area, or forum that I could post a compiled list of trucks/parts needing to be relocated, and dates of opportunity for the transfer.

2. Any trucks/parts and available dates for hauling could be sent to me at rob@autoaffair.com for updating and posting to this forum on a weekly basis. This is to keep more than one person from overlapping and mistakes in scheduling. I would also need to know what type equipment would be needed to haul your freight, (tarped, open, lowboy etc.), and overall size.

A good portion of us participants have relatives, or friends in the trucking industry that could be utilized as to keep costs in check. All truckers surely want to contain their operating costs and this could be a way to lessen deadhead expenses. I don't really expect to utilize persons that are "profiteers" solely, as the purpose is to maintain affordability in the hobby.

I'd like some feedback to see what you guys think. My gut feeling that it could work very well if kept in mind for what it is, an antique truck hobby, and costs need to be kept reasonable. This idea could even make a truck and/or parts in the west affordable to get to the east for example.

Thanks,

Rob

Sounds good to me! I set up a Transportation Board forum under the Classifieds section and moved this topic into it to help get it started!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Sounds good to me! I set up a Transportation Board forum under the Classifieds section and moved this topic into it to help get it started!

Hi everyone,

This idea of Rob's is exactly what I had in mind. I think it is too much to ask of Barry to try to keep a list current, as it will take some real coordination and time - something Barry gives us a lot of already!!

But having Barry post it here is critical to getting the information out to all of us.

Thanks to you both !

Looking forward to taking advantage of the new system. Should be no need to run any size truck empty ever again - unless we are drag racing.

Paul Van Scott

I don't own the company I drive for or anything and I'm to stupid to make big decisions,but fortunately my truck owner and I were friends long before I started driving for him.In fact,I drove for his Grandfather first,and we're both ATHS members.We run flatbeds all over the eastern U.S. and I usually make two or three trips into Ohio A week and back to Virginia.I load out of Sharon and Pittsburgh A lot to Lynchburg,Va.and if anyone needed something moved in this area.I feel like he'd be glad to help also.If it's just parts,or something that'll fit on the trailer with a load of coils and pretty light,he'd probably charge little or nothing.I mean the truck's going there anyway,right-and I'd be doing all the work!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.