Just Bought A Nice 1947 Ls85

RomaineLettuce

I love my new (old) firetruck but need some help with a few things:

1) The radiator shell needs to be re-chromed and not sure where to find someone to do it or where I can buy a replica.

2) I need the ladder set and brackets. Anyone know where to find a set of old Mack ladders or their equivalent and where to get the brackets to hold them up.

Thanks for the help,

John

post-1238-1175098558_thumb.jpg

post-1238-1175098579_thumb.jpg

John

Nice truck- where is it from originally?

Cal Little in Hummelstown PA has an L model in his yard and I think it still has the ladder brackets on it. He also has wooden ladders, so might be able to take care of both items. 717-566-8973.

Have fun with your new toy!

Firemack

Nice truck!

Do you have your chassis number?

I have been noticing alot of truck built in 48 are close to the number of mine S752369, some have been really close!

I was thinking of collecting a list of the 1940's and 50's serial numbers and some history on the ones who have survived, would anyone be interested in sending me their info?

David

1948 Mack Pumper

dave you might find some on the L-model registry list. john's new -old LS85 is on it . i registered it when i owned it.j.j.

java script:emoticon(':pat:', 'smid_16')

:pat:

I guess I was not using what I was given, I knew there was an L registry and Andy in West Oz has an E registry going that has some S series numbers in it as well. At least I was using the creative part of my brain this AM.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

John

Nice truck- where is it from originally?

Cal Little in Hummelstown PA has an L model in his yard and I think it still has the ladder brackets on it. He also has wooden ladders, so might be able to take care of both items. 717-566-8973.

Have fun with your new toy!

Firemack

Firemack,

Cal has brackets but no more ladders that he is willing to part with right now. Any other ideas for places to look for wood ladders?

Thanks.

Try the SPAAMFAA web site, if you are not a member and you are into antique fire apparatus you need to join!

They ahave a web site at spaamfaa.org and there is a yahoo newsgroup for them as well, if you post what you are looking for on the yahoo group you will be reaching a lot more guys who know what is out there.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

• 4 weeks later...

Try the SPAAMFAA web site, if you are not a member and you are into antique fire apparatus you need to join!

They ahave a web site at spaamfaa.org and there is a yahoo newsgroup for them as well, if you post what you are looking for on the yahoo group you will be reaching a lot more guys who know what is out there.

David

There is a small red light on each fender that looks like a cab marker light. Does anyone know where I can find either a red lense for one, entire light, or a pair of them? The Hummels Wharf FD is restoring our 1951 L Model Mack. One of the lenses is missing. When I talked with Cal Little, he said a red lense would be hard to find but amber was easy. I never do anything easy. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

JGG

If you can get your hands on an amber lens you can get a kit to make some in red, I only had one red lens on my truck, I bought a kit at the local auto parts store that you can make a mold of a lens. it is not to hard to do and they do look like they are made of plastic and not glass but it works!

David

1948 Mack Pumper

If you can get your hands on an amber lens you can get a kit to make some in red, I only had one red lens on my truck, I bought a kit at the local auto parts store that you can make a mold of a lens. it is not to hard to do and they do look like they are made of plastic and not glass but it works!

David

Thank you,

Great idea!

JGG

• 1 month later...
dave you might find some on the L-model registry list. john's new -old LS85 is on it . i registered it when i owned it.j.j.

Where is the L-model registry list? Anyone have a link for it?

Thank you.

Steve

(very nice looking truck)