Polarizing generator from + ground to negative ground '59 B61

Hello Guys,

did a search and found that to change over to the negative ground setup and have the original generator work I need to polarize it. What terminal do I need to hook the + side to? Also do I need to change how the wires are hooked up between the gen and regulator, or does that stay the same?

Thanks,

Jason

-Jason-

1959 Mack B61T single axle short wheel base, concave cab. 673 diesel, duplex trans. Running but under contruction!

Hello Guys,

did a search and found that to change over to the negative ground setup and have the original generator work I need to polarize it. What terminal do I need to hook the + side to? Also do I need to change how the wires are hooked up between the gen and regulator, or does that stay the same?

Thanks,

Jason

You need a different regulator for negative ground. You cannot feasibly change the polarization of this unit. Once a new regulator is fitted, touch a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the terminal on the generator for just a second to "polarize" it. Start the engine and it should be charging for you.

Now would be a good time to fit an alternator rather than retain the original generator. A Delco "10SI" is very easy to make mounts for and fit to the engine. It is also self contained with a regulator.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Sounds like its going to be a alternator. I talked to the Generator shop that built me the starter, they recomended a 22SI as its a truck alternator and puts out 100+ amps. I think I'm gonna go that way, its only $125 anyways.

Thanks for the imput guys.

Jason

-Jason-

1959 Mack B61T single axle short wheel base, concave cab. 673 diesel, duplex trans. Running but under contruction!

Sounds like its going to be a alternator. I talked to the Generator shop that built me the starter, they recomended a 22SI as its a truck alternator and puts out 100+ amps. I think I'm gonna go that way, its only $125 anyways.

Thanks for the imput guys.

Jason

The 22SI is a good alternator and is more "rugged" than the 10SI series. Glad to hear you will spring for the extra dollars for the better product as most will not. A 10SI can be had for less than $50.00, but the vibration of the diesel can make them short lived being full of chinese components.......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.