Mack E9 Specs

A E9 in a B would be awesome but I doubt if you could keep it cool. I had a 400 3406B, 9speed over, 4.10's in a Freightshaker(can't believe I admitted that on here!) and like Slpwlker said, it was a beast. I sure wish I was only 20 miles from all those trucks! Good luck and welcome aboard! Trey

Thanks for the welcome, appreciate it. I don't think anyone will hold it against you that you used to own a Freightliner, since you called it a Freightshaker, anyway. And I know the 3406 is a good engine, it was my first choice before I discovered the E9. But the 3408 and E9 are plain and simple the kings of the road, so I'd like to have that engine in whatever rig I end up with. There are plenty of 3406's running around as it is.

Reading your post i find my self forgetting i was young once, buy wanting to say stay in school go to college or trade school and dont buy a truck, unless its with the money you earn off the intrest you earned by having a good job. Now that the parent talk's over, I run my v8 every week like I said here before. If you don't abuse it , it is in the 6 mpg range, if its a head wind and you're trying to make time you're in the 4's. i think the harder thing is finding a v8 in an over the road chassie setup so you would realistically end up buying a daycab and have to make the truck you want, stretching frames adding air ride, rear rebuilds, and v8 parts are not cheap and getting harder to find. you will constantly be working onit w hile working to make money. it 's very hard if your not setup with some one to make consistant money, i like the b idea but id stay with a six for cooling a nice hot rodded 6 is as cool as an 8 any day, so in my opinion buy a late 90's early 2000 ch something or other make money and build your dream truck on the side, so good luck and keep us posted thanks,

If it were me just starting out and wanting to build a "hot rod" truck, I'd go with a 300+ Mack engine, "Maxitorqe" trans, and "Mack" rears. These will all readily fit into a B model cab with minimal modifications.

This combination is as bulletproof as an anvil.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If it were me just starting out and wanting to build a "hot rod" truck, I'd go with a 300+ Mack engine, "Maxitorqe" trans, and "Mack" rears. These will all readily fit into a B model cab with minimal modifications.

This combination is as bulletproof as an anvil.

Rob

I have a in-house brain surgeon that I swear could tear up a anvil in a sandbox - no bullets needed. if you need one broken, let me know

• Like 1

I have a in-house brain surgeon that I swear could tear up a anvil in a sandbox - no bullets needed. if you need one broken, let me know

Must be related to the enhanced trajectory engineering graduates I've employed in the past. I always swore they could tear up a round steel ball in a rubber lined room with their bare hands.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Reading your post i find my self forgetting i was young once, buy wanting to say stay in school go to college or trade school and dont buy a truck, unless its with the money you earn off the intrest you earned by having a good job.

Does this mean you want me to drive a truck for a company instead of being an independant, or that you just don't want me to get into trucking period? I know it's not the same thing, but I've never had more fun in my life than driving my dad's Econoline pulling our camper down the highway for hours, and I find it a heck of a lot easier parking it than anything smaller. I could never get my mom's Cadillac DeVille or Ford Contour parked quite right, but the van is perfect every time. That's not my only reason for wanting to become a trucker, but take it for what it's worth... not many of my friends ever enjoyed driving for hours as much as I do, or driving bigger vehicles as much as I do. I'm just saying, I think I'm cut out of the right material for it. Not to mention when I worked at Shopko (would never recommend it), I was told that I was the only employee my manager had that ever unloaded the entire trailer as fast as I did without taking a break.

Edited by jamesandrewjohnson

This might be a stupid question being from Iowa,have you been Iowa 80 walcott truckers jamboree if you havent it is one you shouldnt miss great show. Ron

Sorry for not getting to your comment sooner, but no I have not.

Edited by jamesandrewjohnson

if its your dream go for it, i was in the same boat sometime ago, just iwas never told about certain things, if i could doit all over i take some buisness classes or accounting classes it will help, cause driving the truck is the easy part, you have to way your opp. on independant or company, if you have someones ready to use your truck right away go for it if not find a co. then lern the ropes then go on your owen, thats how i did it, just as an ind. things to think of, truck ins. bobtail and liability, federal tax, quaterly fuel tax, milage reports, health ins, and when your young that may not be important but some day you cold be married and shes going to want health ins, then taking care of the truck if old you could nikel and dime your self if its new have a payment every month sometimes a big one plus the insurance. its hard work and the goverments not helping, all that said theres great pride in this industry, your a hard worker and at the end of the day you may not have as much as the next guy but what you have you will have worked hard for and youll be proud of it. theres alot more and youll get good advice from these pepole, thanks

if its your dream go for it, i was in the same boat sometime ago, just iwas never told about certain things, if i could doit all over i take some buisness classes or accounting classes it will help, cause driving the truck is the easy part, you have to way your opp. on independant or company, if you have someones ready to use your truck right away go for it if not find a co. then lern the ropes then go on your owen, thats how i did it, just as an ind. things to think of, truck ins. bobtail and liability, federal tax, quaterly fuel tax, milage reports, health ins, and when your young that may not be important but some day you cold be married and shes going to want health ins, then taking care of the truck if old you could nikel and dime your self if its new have a payment every month sometimes a big one plus the insurance. its hard work and the goverments not helping, all that said theres great pride in this industry, your a hard worker and at the end of the day you may not have as much as the next guy but what you have you will have worked hard for and youll be proud of it. theres alot more and youll get good advice from these pepole, thanks

Thanks for the reply. I want to work under a company first, until I can afford my own truck. There are three trucking companys I can think of off the top of my head in town (Shipley, Roth, and WW Transport), so I should be able to find a job, at least.

I wish you luck but I think you'll find it harder to get a job till your atleast 22 or 23 most companies will not hire unless your only local and even then it is an insurance thing. Best bet and I don't wish this on anyone is go start out at a wrecker company and move into there big stuff. Thats best I would say or know someone that can let you get behind the wheel

I wish you luck but I think you'll find it harder to get a job till your atleast 22 or 23 most companies will not hire unless your only local and even then it is an insurance thing. Best bet and I don't wish this on anyone is go start out at a wrecker company and move into there big stuff. Thats best I would say or know someone that can let you get behind the wheel

Well I'm pretty good friends with the son of the owner of Roth trucking, but they only have 8 trucks, so I'm not sure I could get a job there, plus I don't really like the idea of mooching off a friend for a job, because if I screw up it's his reputation.