673c V 711

Andy Wright

Guys

My 61 is on its 3rd engine from what I can work out. She originally came to Oz with a END673 of 170 hp. When I bought her the licence papers said she had a 711, but I soon found that she actually had an ENDT673C motor in her. That's why I reckon she's on her 3rd engine.

I have noticed that the area behind the radiator has been shaved in places to allow for what appears to be a larger diameter fan. Did the C motor have a larger fan? What else is different externally on a 673C to a 711 (layout, dimensions etc)?

She also has a 15 speed RR hooked to the engine. Would there be any reason for this besides the owner wanting an "easier" gear change? She originally had a duplex, could a duplex "handle" a 673C?

There's also a dry element filter under the hood mounted to the left inner fender although I still have the external oil bath barrel on the right. Is a dry element particular to the 673C (doesn't really matter, Donaldson make a dry that looks like the external oil so that's what I'm using eventually)?

The answers are probably really obvious! :pat:

Cheers

Andy :mack1:

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

The 711 and 673C are pretty much laid out the same externally,Andy,except for the 673C having a turbo,although turbo's have been added to 711's,also.I had a '66 R model with a 673C and a Duplex and it handled it fine,someone either got tired of 2 sticking or wanted the lower gears of a 15 speed RR.A 15 speed Triplex mated to a 673C is a much sweeter set up in my opinion.As far as the air cleaner,all the 673C powered trucks that I've had all were equipped with oilbath air cleaners.Did they have both of yours hooked up,or just the one under the hood?

Mike

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I figured that the C and 711 would be more or less the same externally just couldn't be sure as I was only working off pics of mounted engines and hadn't seen one in the flesh for a while. I think you're right about the trans in respect of the lower gearing on the RR, she used to be a yard truck and still has a rather meaty hitch welded to the end of the chassis, looks set up to pull a trailer on a dolly, maybe for carting 2nd or 3rd trailers to a road train assembly area (still working on her history). This'll be coming off in good time, it's not the best of jobs in all honesty!

In terms of the air cleaner, she still sucks her air through the external barrell. This is piped to the cleaner under the hood which lies on its side. I'm not happy with this arrangement as it bounces around something chronic when we're moving. Also, by moving the cleaner proper to where it should be I have one less hose/pipe under the hood. Keep it simple and less cluttered!

Thanks again, appreciate your advice to a rookie and always enjoy the various pics of your stuff. Hope the family is well.

Cheers

Andy :mack1:

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

Mike

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.  I figured that the C and 711 would be more or less the same externally just couldn't be sure as I was only working off pics of mounted engines and hadn't seen one in the flesh for a while.  I think you're right about the trans in respect of the lower gearing on the RR, she used to be a yard truck and still has a rather meaty hitch welded to the end of the chassis, looks set up to pull a trailer on a dolly, maybe for carting 2nd or 3rd trailers to a road train assembly area (still working on her history).  This'll be coming off in good time, it's not the best of jobs in all honesty!

In terms of the air cleaner, she still sucks her air through the external barrell.  This is piped to the cleaner under the hood which lies on its side.  I'm not happy with this arrangement as it bounces around something chronic when we're moving.  Also, by moving the cleaner proper to where it should be I have one less hose/pipe under the hood.  Keep it simple and less cluttered!

Thanks again, appreciate your advice to a rookie and always enjoy the various pics of your stuff.  Hope the family is well.

Cheers

Andy  :mack1:

Hi,

My b61 is the same way, it started out with the 711 and now has a 673 in it, from what I was told the 711 blew head gaskets. A mack mechanic from back in the day said the 711 ment that you drove them for 7 days and worked on them for 11. I dont know for sure but mine has been changed at least once.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!