59' Mack B61 Parking Brake not working...

tkobes43

Well this has been going on for awhile now, I've been tinkering with it for awhile now. I think i made another topic about this issue but winters coming and i would like to get it working properly so i don't have to worry about the truck rolling down my drive and into my neighbors yard. When the truck is on and the truck protection valve is in "normal" the pressure builds to 40 psi and won't climb anymore. Air pisses out the airlines on the truck connecting to the trailer. I thought it was the tractor protection valve for the airlines so i replaced that and it still was pissing air. But when i switch the valve to emergency it builds to a comfortable 95-100 psi. When i pull the parking brake it sounds like it engages but i let off the brake and she rolls. Im out of ideas now... Any advice would be helpful. I aint no genius with these air brakes. LOL

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

How is the adjustment? sounds like some attention is needed.

sounds like either an airline itself is leaking, or your connections/gladhands might have crap in them.

Check the gaskets on gladhands, soap and water sprayed all over.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

T Bone,

This is where a manual comes in handy on the transmission brake drum. Mine does the same thing, i'm sure most of these trucks have the same issues. I changed the air govenor on the passenger side and the air built up like normal. Mine did the same as yours until the change. If you get a spray bottle with soap mixture and spray the air lines you may be able to find the leaks.

mike

………"but i let off the brake and she rolls"

Am I missing something? Isn't that what its supposed to do?

sorry for the confusion. What i ment was when i engage the parking brake and let off the pedal brake it doesnt stay parked. It rolls and acts like the parking brake is NOT engaged.

Hatcity and Mike

I am going to see what i can do tomorrow with the glad hands. Whats the chance thats its the actual valve behind the dash? Also what does the handle do on the floor of the truck? Its like a parking brake handle in like a honda civic type of handle? I dont know im getting my self more confused...

Tom

sorry for the confusion. What i ment was when i engage the parking brake and let off the pedal brake it doesnt stay parked. It rolls and acts like the parking brake is NOT engaged.

Hatcity and Mike

I am going to see what i can do tomorrow with the glad hands. Whats the chance thats its the actual valve behind the dash? Also what does the handle do on the floor of the truck? Its like a parking brake handle in like a honda civic type of handle? I dont know im getting my self more confused...

Tom

Did you get the manual yet from the Mack Museum? I would not be caught without one. If I mess up then I can blame the the publisher for a misprint.

mike

Did you get the manual yet from the Mack Museum? I would not be caught without one. If I mess up then I can blame the the publisher for a misprint.

mike

yes i do have one! Looking at it as we speak! I will see if i need anymore help after i read the manual.

Tom

Alright guys, I read the section about "air brakes, and the hand brake". But it really did not go into detail about my issue. I guess i should start by adjusting the hand brake, but if my truck had the air parking brake then why would i need the hand brake? Maybe someone can shed some light on my confusion.

Tom