Help with some factory Mack questons?

As some of us know im trying to get my U back to closer factory look. What color would the grille have been when it was new? Same color as the cab and truck? Black? I have my build sheets but I dont think it was on that. Its silver right now and im thinking about repainting but im not sure.. id like some opinions honestly.

Also , how do you keep the grille slats shut when the trucks off? Mine open as they should when I turn the truck off. Thanks

post-2596-0-23250000-1324914293_thumb.jp

As some of us know im trying to get my U back to closer factory look. What color would the grille have been when it was new? Same color as the cab and truck? Black? I have my build sheets but I dont think it was on that. Its silver right now and im thinking about repainting but im not sure.. id like some opinions honestly.

Also , how do you keep the grille slats shut when the trucks off? Mine open as they should when I turn the truck off. Thanks

I think unless custom ordered, all the grilles in the R model series were either silver paint, or polished aluminum blades when new.

To get the shutters to stay shut requires air pressure in the system. If the air leaks down, the shutters open. This is the same principal the "shutterstat" works by. When setting temperature is reached inside the "shutterstat" the port for the air cylinder that operates the shutters is bled down with a spring opening the shutters. When the "shutterstat" senses it's temperature is below the setpoint, air is once again routed to the shutter cylinder overcoming the spring pressure to close the shutters.

You can incorporate a mechanical lever to keep them closed but I wouldn't do that. It will be forgotten about reminding you at an inconvienient time in traffic.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

As Rob stated,i have seen examples in both black and body color,but the most common application i've seen is silver,i have had good luck with "argent silver" which is semi-gloss used on Chevrolet "rallye wheels" gives a nice finish,and is very durable,it is available at auto restoration shops like eastwood,and some specialty body shops or online. And i too don't recommend trying to force the shutters closed,it can (and prolly will be) a problem later on down the line................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I wouldnt mess with "keeping them closed" , Ive seen some pretty nice art work on some old shutter type grille's, now I guess they crank the truck , let air pressure build , then shut it down to keep em closed to paint and work on.

And if the Silver is correct then I wont mess with them. They look pretty good but I just wasnt sure of the factory color. I just thought green would look nice. Thanks Rob and Mark!!

I wouldnt mess with "keeping them closed" , Ive seen some pretty nice art work on some old shutter type grille's, now I guess they crank the truck , let air pressure build , then shut it down to keep em closed to paint and work on.

And if the Silver is correct then I wont mess with them. They look pretty good but I just wasnt sure of the factory color. I thought the same green as my truck would look nice but if silver would be factory then il go with keep it. Thanks Rob and Mark!!

You can clamp them closed for show with a pair of small vise grip pliers.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

We installed a small brass gate valve in the shutter line of our DM so we could get by in real cold weather when the automatic shutterstat failed and we waited on a replacement part. That kept them closed when you wanted to as long as your air lines and fittings were leak proof.

We installed a small brass gate valve in the shutter line of our DM so we could get by in real cold weather when the automatic shutterstat failed and we waited on a replacement part. That kept them closed when you wanted to as long as your air lines and fittings were leak proof.

It is usually the cylinder packing, (unservicable) that leaks down but if this is tight, the shutters would remain closed indefinately.

Rob

im pretty sure the grill was silver or gray. i also never knew or noticed the grill slats open when you shut the truck off. if my u model doesnt do that is that a problem? i always thought mine were open all the time.

open the hood and on the passenger side at the top should be an air cylinder. The air line for the cylinder runs to the shutterstat mounted in the water manifold on the left front of the engine. Some shutters were fixed also and if your engine has a mechanical clutch fan, they very well could have been fixed, or later model replacements.

Rob

well i know the truck was running in this picture but i cant tell if the slats are shut. but it wasnt moving on its ownt power it was being towed while idleing, does that make a difference?

That photo is so typical; a Mack with a chain hanging on it. Funny thing is, the other end is usually attached to another dead Peterbilt. I know you were saving the Peterbilt driver some embarrassment so the photo is cut off, but I once again display my lack of pride and bring the information to the forefront.

If those shutters haven't worked in a while they are probably frozen from rust in the linkage. This is easy to repair by taking them apart to lube up the pivot points.

Rob

rob whats happening in the picture is we just put the new rear end in it and we didnt have the air hooked up or the drive shaft and we hooked it to a forklift and pulled it to a different spot. we had her runnin so we could have power steering.

It still could have pulled a dead Pete in the shape it was in; I just know it could.

Rob

Rob , Isnt there some oil you put somewhere for them during maint.?

On the B series you could take the air pressure regulator apart to clean/oil the thing. It also had a reservoir for holding a little oil. I used air tool oil. With the Bendix governors replacing the original Sealco types, this option went away. You can still dump a little oil into the discharge tube to lube things up but you don't need much. When the shutterstat bleeds, it will discharge some of the oil but a bit will work up to the cylinder.

Rob