tranny edvise

Steven Charest

Rob, out of curiousity are the bells interchangeable on the transmissions? Like putting a SAE2 on a diesel transmission. Might do a repower one day.

I have never seen an SAE #2 bell on a TR72 series Mack transmission, (used behind the diesels), nor an SAE #1 on the smaller TR67 series (used on the gasoline engines). As a side note, SAE #1, and SAE #2 bells are readily available and interchangable for Fuller transmissions.

In that little B model, I'd prolly go with a 5.9 Cummins, or DT series International engine with either a five, or six speed overdrive trans. As Superdog mentioned you will prolly want to change the rear axle to something that will move along a little faster with today's traffic.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

As a side note, SAE #1, and SAE #2 bells are readily available and interchangable for Fuller transmissions. In that little B model, I'd prolly go with a 5.9 Cummins, or DT series International engine with either a five, or six speed overdrive trans. Rob

Thanks Rob. I knew about the roadranger bell. I actually have a SAE2 housing and 1 3/4" input for a RTX-14607 transmission at the house. I got the trans for $100 and may stick it in a Dodge 5500. Truck already has a Spicer 7041 mounted behind the Tcase. Then again I really like the idea of a RTOO 13spd. If I have problems with the END in the L model I think a hopped up 5.9 Cummins is in the future. Alot easier to run it at higher speeds and not worry about rearend gears. My little 12v makes more tork than the 673, alot more!

If you use a mack trans i would say that you need to mount it with the mack mounts on the mack trans and let it hang the rear of the engine. A 5.9 flywheel housing is very weak at the mounting to the block and have had cracking problems with the eaton 5 speed trans hanging on the back of it.Remenber the trans will weight as much as the engine so the mounting is very important.

glenn akers

how hard is it to find TRQ77 just starting to look around for doner parts and local part sources , found a 5.9 this week problem is can not get truck in my shop need to clean house winter is repair and rebuild time for us , working on getting it home this week and start trearing it down not really shure what I will end up with for a tranny yet but apreciate all the input. Im in this for the long haul want to use this truck at my landscape supply yard mostly for me . alot of the new internationals around overgrown P U s I ve always been old school

Edited by Steven Charest
  • Like 1