Can someone verify this engine serial number?

burnin oil

I got the 51 LJT home this weekend and checked the engine serial number. It should be a Lanova but the serial number is END 673 164 93. Shouldn't a Lanova be an END 672? I bought the truck from the second owners son who swears the motor is original. I found some records in the truck showing the heads where swapped in 63 or 64 with 90k miles so I dought the motor was changed before it came to the previous owner. Any help would be appreciated.

That appears to be as you suspect an END-673 Mack diesel engine. First natural aspirated one I've seen with a Woodward hydraulic governor however.

I've seen a few END-672 engines and they look pretty much the same to me as an END-673.

All the Lanova engines I've seen are an END-510.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks. Where the 672's marked as 672 or 673? The motor does say Thermodyne on the valve cover.

The END-672 engines were stamped just like the END-673 series. From what I've seen in the exact place of the timing covers housing.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Lanova's were the first mack engines from the 30's. There was a 510 and 672 motor. I don't know anything about the 510 but the 672 had indirect injection rated at 150HP. When they upgraded the motor in 53 it got direct injection and became known as END-673. probably a few other small differences also.

On the END-510 engine the injectors were side mounted like a 220 Cummins. They injected fuel into a precombustion chamber that was the patented "Lanova" design. I have heard the END-672 engine was similar but as I've said it looked very similar to an END-673 to me. Can't say I paid too much attention as to injector placement, but it's been several years since I've even seen one.

A friend has an END-510 in an A-51 chassis and it really does not look like an END-672, or END-673.

Rob

I got the 51 LJT home this weekend and checked the engine serial number. It should be a Lanova but the serial number is END 673 164 93. Shouldn't a Lanova be an END 672? I bought the truck from the second owners son who swears the motor is original. I found some records in the truck showing the heads where swapped in 63 or 64 with 90k miles so I dought the motor was changed before it came to the previous owner. Any help would be appreciated.

The Lanova design is spoken of about midway down the page in the "Air Cell Design" of indirect injection.

Rob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirect_injection