Need help finding a good air brake control valve for U600

jaysm35a2

I need some info on what a good choice to put a air brake control vale on a 66' U600. Next to my driver seat as you guys know is the controls , well I have a trailer brake button for my tractor park brakes and for the trailer brake is what looks to be the tractor protection switch for wet roads. Id like to have the right things and im lost as to what to look for or do. OR am I missing something that Mack did. It looks correct (exept the trailer brake button) from the factory.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BENDIX-MV3-801036-15012679-AIR-BRAKE-DASH-CONTROL-VALVE-/230670627018?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b50a70ca

Should I buy something like this or do something diff. Do they make just the buttons you can buy so I can at least change the Tractor Park brake button back to yellow?

we use them on our congears,,they say bendix emergency,,and back in 66,,they did use wet road type switch for trailer,,was before the color coding...and before people were stupid.lol.bob

My 72 R model has black knobs on the rear wall of the cab; one for tractor brakes, the other for trailer air supply. It does not have front brakes so there is no dry/slippery road selector.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yeah the only thing I have is the tractor brake knob and the wet dry road selector and thats the way it was built I think.

If the chassis was built as a tractor, it should have the normal/emergency valve also. If it was built as a straight truck, it could, or could not have the normal/emergency valve. They were optional.This is called the tractor protection valve.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The build sheets show it as a tractor, I have the tractor brake , then the protection valve. The protection valve acts as the trailer brake knob...

This is true. However the tractor protection valve also charges the air tank on the trailer. If you have two air lines for connect to a trailer, one of them, (red in color nowadays) will charge with air from the tractor as soon as the tractor protection valve is actuated from "emergency", to the "normal" position. If there is a trailer attached and the lines connected, this line charges the air tank for the brakes on the trailer. The other line at this time only supplies air to the trailer when you depress the foot brake. This line at this time becomes charged with air going to a relay valve on the trailer applying air from the trailer tank to the brake chambers. When you let off the brake pedal, the charged air line from the application of brakes, (blue line) exhaust under the truck, and the relay valve on the trailer exhaust the line pressure that was built up to apply the brakes.

The tractor protection valve is there in it's form to disconnect the trailer air supply in the case of a massive air leakage on the trailer, or the interconnecting hoses.

Rob

Rob

This is true. However the tractor protection valve also charges the air tank on the trailer. If you have two air lines for connect to a trailer, one of them, (red in color nowadays) will charge with air from the tractor as soon as the tractor protection valve is actuated from "emergency", to the "normal" position. If there is a trailer attached and the lines connected, this line charges the air tank for the brakes on the trailer. The other line at this time only supplies air to the trailer when you depress the foot brake. This line at this time becomes charged with air going to a relay valve on the trailer applying air from the trailer tank to the brake chambers. When you let off the brake pedal, the charged air line from the application of brakes, (blue line) exhaust under the truck, and the relay valve on the trailer exhaust the line pressure that was built up to apply the brakes.

The tractor protection valve is there in it's form to disconnect the trailer air supply in the case of a massive air leakage on the trailer, or the interconnecting hoses.

Rob

Rob

i thinki what were trying to figure out is that toggle type valve the same part no,except for the nameplate,,both trailer valve,,and slippery road,,im thinking,,,you can interchange them,,,but im thinkin thier probably obsolete anyway,less someone has some n.o.s. somewheres,,rite?..bob

The "flipper" valves are still readily available through Bendix. Early versions used the "flipper" valve for the tractor protection and I think it was 1966 the button with 40psi pressure release was mandated.

Rob