Memo To Mack: An Occasional Hint To Hq

Lessons from the farm shows-

Couple weeks ago I paid my annual visit to Farmfest in western Minnesota. The show is huge and will seriously challenge your walking ability... If you've got a golf cart, you might want to bring it. I've been to Farmfest a half dozen or so times, but something was new this year- a Mack dealer was there! Ness Trucks was out in force with a handful of staffers, two Macks, a Volvo, and a couple medium sized Volvo loaders that looked like they'd come in handy around the farm. This dealership gets it- the axle forward Pinnacle they brought looked ready to hook to a grain trailer, and the setback axle Pinnacle with sleeper would have done a livestock trailer proud. Even the Volvo showed their understanding of their market- a VN with the short low roof sleeper. That's long been a popular spec in the midwest, where ag haulers want a sleeper for the occasional overnights or "naps" but don't want the weight and air resistance of a "condo" sleeper.

To give you an idea of the strength of the ag market, Ness just sold a new Volvo to a farmer that admits he'll only be putting 5600 miles a year on it. But with income taxes taking any of his robust 2011 profits he doesn't reinvest by year end, a $100,000+ new truck is a good investment that will put him and his family's farm in a reliable truck for decades to come. Would have preferred he'd bought a Mack though!

On to Dakotafest, South Dakota's twin to Farmfest. Lotsa big iron here, a couple trailer dealers even brought 9 axle "trains". Again, Mack was represented by local dealer Sheehan's with a small display. The only Volvos they brought were construction equipment, and the Mack they brought... Awesome!

Sheehan's showed a superlative axle forward Pinnacle day cab with 14k front axle, all Mack drivetrain including an MP8 engine and 18 speed Maxitorque, held together by what looked to be a 300 mm. tall Granite frame that was at least 7 mm. if not 8 mm. thick. All ready to hook onto a grain or gravel train!

That's what's right- clearly these dealers get it while Volvo still thinks all Titans should be hooked to lowboys and not wander far enough to need a sleeper, an MP8 is enough power for any non permit load, and it's OK to hog five feet of frame rail with emmisions gear because we'd just put unauthorized axles there otherwise. Mack, come to South Dakota and we'll show you 17 axle doubles "trains" that gross 170,000 pounds in a state so huge you'll need to log sleeper berth time to get across it and back. Mack ought to own this market, but because Volvo has muzzled the Bulldog Kenworthless, Peterbroke, and Wasted Star own the market here.

Enough editorializing... Time to get back on the bike and see if I can get a picture of that 17 axle doubles "train" on the way home!

Lessons from the farm shows-

Couple weeks ago I paid my annual visit to Farmfest in western Minnesota. The show is huge and will seriously challenge your walking ability... If you've got a golf cart, you might want to bring it. I've been to Farmfest a half dozen or so times, but something was new this year- a Mack dealer was there! Ness Trucks was out in force with a handful of staffers, two Macks, a Volvo, and a couple medium sized Volvo loaders that looked like they'd come in handy around the farm. This dealership gets it- the axle forward Pinnacle they brought looked ready to hook to a grain trailer, and the setback axle Pinnacle with sleeper would have done a livestock trailer proud. Even the Volvo showed their understanding of their market- a VN with the short low roof sleeper. That's long been a popular spec in the midwest, where ag haulers want a sleeper for the occasional overnights or "naps" but don't want the weight and air resistance of a "condo" sleeper.

To give you an idea of the strength of the ag market, Ness just sold a new Volvo to a farmer that admits he'll only be putting 5600 miles a year on it. But with income taxes taking any of his robust 2011 profits he doesn't reinvest by year end, a $100,000+ new truck is a good investment that will put him and his family's farm in a reliable truck for decades to come. Would have preferred he'd bought a Mack though!

On to Dakotafest, South Dakota's twin to Farmfest. Lotsa big iron here, a couple trailer dealers even brought 9 axle "trains". Again, Mack was represented by local dealer Sheehan's with a small display. The only Volvos they brought were construction equipment, and the Mack they brought... Awesome!

Sheehan's showed a superlative axle forward Pinnacle day cab with 14k front axle, all Mack drivetrain including an MP8 engine and 18 speed Maxitorque, held together by what looked to be a 300 mm. tall Granite frame that was at least 7 mm. if not 8 mm. thick. All ready to hook onto a grain or gravel train!

That's what's right- clearly these dealers get it while Volvo still thinks all Titans should be hooked to lowboys and not wander far enough to need a sleeper, an MP8 is enough power for any non permit load, and it's OK to hog five feet of frame rail with emmisions gear because we'd just put unauthorized axles there otherwise. Mack, come to South Dakota and we'll show you 17 axle doubles "trains" that gross 170,000 pounds in a state so huge you'll need to log sleeper berth time to get across it and back. Mack ought to own this market, but because Volvo has muzzled the Bulldog Kenworthless, Peterbroke, and Wasted Star own the market here.

Enough editorializing... Time to get back on the bike and see if I can get a picture of that 17 axle doubles "train" on the way home!

thanks for sharing,,,volvo,s are ok,with four doors,and a car seat in the back,lol.bob

The only bad thing is there are very few Mack dealers in the Dakotas. Needed an exhaust elbow for my Vision the last time I was up there...no luck they didn't have one in stock and it seems they told me it would take atleast a week to get it. Got one when I got to Texas.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

The only bad thing is there are very few Mack dealers in the Dakotas. Needed an exhaust elbow for my Vision the last time I was up there...no luck they didn't have one in stock and it seems they told me it would take atleast a week to get it. Got one when I got to Texas.

thats the way it is in california,,,real hard to get parts,there used to be allot more dealers there,,in the 80,s,,and when you find someone that deals with mack,,seems.everthing has to be ordered....bob