Air Lines Differ:

Rob

Tonight I was building up my new transmission to slip back into the winch truck this weekend. I noticed when attempting to run the air plumbing the air line fittings on the new trans are 5/32nds, where the former was 1/8th. I have a new NOS 4900 shift knob I plan to use and it is threaded for the 1/8 plastic lines. I can remove the brass fittings from the former transmission and swap them without problem as the threads are the same, (1/8th-27npt), or adapt the shift knob for larger lines.

Do I need the higher airflow to facilitate the range and splitter functions faster than the 1/8th plastic line can supply? If not why was the change made? I'm making the broad assumption the change was to hasten the time for mechanical operation of the aforementioned items.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That's right, I forgot about that! I got a new '85 cabover KW and that was the year they moved the shift lever up on the dog house. It worked by cables instead of

a shaft and thegearshift was real short and hard to shift. I had one of the old type range selector valves so I put a 4 or 6'' extension on the gear shift, old type

shift knob- one of those in the mixer now- attached the range selector valve with hose clamps, then found the air lines were bigger.

I ended up getting it to work but I don't remember what I did, knowing me it probably involved bubble gum, silicone, duct tape, paper clips,etc. -probably not the

way you'd want to go! Never had any problems with it though. This was a 9 speed, not a 13.

I do still have an old range selector or 2, but you'd need an old type 13 speed knob for the splitter.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Think I'm gonna go ahead and plumb it with 1" sandblaster hose. That way not only will it shift in the blink of an eye, the hose will never wear out.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Think I'm gonna go ahead and plumb it with 1" sandblaster hose. That way not only will it shift in the blink of an eye, the hose will never wear out.

Rob

you might want to put a pressure regulator on it then or it might blow the sides of the transmission out.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Should be alright cause most sandblasting is performed between 100-125psig with hose rated apropriately. Volume performs the task along with pressure.

Rob

Well I decided to purchase new fittings for the 4900 series shift knob in the 5/32nds size to fit the existing fittings on the trans. Bought 50 ft. of the air line so that ought to cover it with a little left over.

post-78-0-16432100-1313332042_thumb.jpg

The left over top shift cover for the RTO series of trans will be kept as it is all new including forks, rails, and all hardware. I'll use it in another trans.

post-78-0-29790400-1313332070_thumb.jpg

Rob