Rear Axles Rating

tanbuddy

I have a 79 u model, and all the weight rating tags are removed on the truck. I would like to figure out what rears are in it and gvw & gcw this truck is rated at.

The rear is tandem with 5 spoke wheels, 8 bolts hold on the covers for the axle shafts. only the front rear has a parking brake, there are 2 torque rods and no traverse rods.

the steer axle has 6 bolt wheels, and 3 leafs in the pack.

thanks for any help

79 U

237 5 sp

You probably have 38k rear axles. The axle flange with the eight bolts is about 6 1/2" dia.? The springs could be either 34k or 38k. How many leafs? How wide? How thick? Look for numbers on the front of the steering axle, right side.

The rear springs are 4 inches wide by 8 inches thick, 10 leafs.

The center hub was about 7 inches wide. I found markings on the rear rear by the drain plug, SS 34 10....so im guessing that means 34 k rears?

I still didnt check on the front end yet.

79 U

237 5 sp

• 2 weeks later...

On a 79 the axle model numbers should be stamped in the casting. For the rear axles (assuming it's a tandem with Mack rears), look at the rear rear, (from the rear of the truck) just below and to the left of the check plug, there should be numbers like "SS34C" or something similar.

On the steering axle, looking under the front of the truck, just under the RH spring there should be numbers also stamped in, usually starting with "FA", like "FA" or "FAW" with some numbers, like "FAW617C" or something similar.

Dave

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/