V8 Flinstone

Gday everyone. I thought I'd just bringup a couple of photos of my R615RS. About 12 months ago I said I would post a few photos of my project, well better late than never! Hope you enjoy them. They might be spread over a couple of different posts. Cheers, Skip.

This photo was taken when it was finished abd detailed the day before it went to Alice Springs for the truck show

post-1795-0-49347700-1312285182_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Gday everyone. I thought I'd just bringup a couple of photos of my R615RS. About 12 months ago I said I would post a few photos of my project, well better late than never! Hope you enjoy them. They might be spread over a couple of different posts. Cheers, Skip.

This photo was taken when it was finished abd detailed the day before it went to Alice Springs for the truck show

Heres another shot of it, fresh out of the paint shop. The motor was completely rebuilt, and fitted with the gearbox before the cab was bolted on.

post-1795-0-23988200-1312286292_thumb.jp

Thanks for the comments. As it is a rare truck with the V8 I just worked on getting it as close to original as I possibly could. The engine was the hardest and most expensive part of the project. I collected parts for close to 4 years. I found a rebuild kit for it, a recoditioned rotary fuel pump, Rebuilt the oil pump, compressor and P/S pump. The crand was ground and the cam was dressed, new bearings right throughout. The block was cracked around the counterbores so they were machined out and inserts pressed in. All the heads were completely rebuilt. Very major overhaul! It might be the only rebuilt END864 in Australia though. The next engine is going to be difficult to do up, the parts supply is running low!

Gday. Thanks for the replies. Yep the engine cost a bloody fortune! But in saying that, a rebuild where I used the original camshaft, crankshaft, block and heads and had them serviced, It probably didnt work out too bad. I saved big money on the pump and injectors, as I found a reconditioned set for quite cheap, and it doesnt have a turbo. I would hate to be doing the same sort of rebuild on an E9, it would hurt the hip pocket a lot more.

Before I found out the history of the truck I was going to paint it black and line and scroll it with green and white, similar to the old Sydney-Mt Isa transport colour scheme.(An old Australian Company for those of you living elsewhere) Then I found some info out on it and it turns out there were only 25 of this model made, some with steel fronts and some with fibreglass bonnets. So I did a bit more searching, found the original owners and from then on it was only ever going to be red on a black chassis. The only changes I wil make are a white tin sunvisor, a chrome strap on the fuel tank and a V8 badge on each side ot the bonnet.

The colour of the engine came from a promotional brochure of the END864 titled 'Diesel of the Decade' It was for Macks new 255hp V8 released in 1962. Although these R615RS' came out with the END864A or C rated at 284hp I still liked the colour of the engine in that brochure and because it is the thing that makes the truck unique thats what colour it ended up. I also painted the quad box in the same blue/green colour. I will get some more photos up soon. Cheers everyone, Skip