R Model Rail Gutter (drip Rail)

Hey Barry, is the rain gutter available for the R models separate from the other cab panels and parts? Mine is a bit rusty after removing the roof skin this evening. I can make new but if it is available; sure would save some time.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob, drip edges are available seperate...I think they come in several pieces IIRC...model & vin and we'll get 'em looked up!

Thanks Barry,

RL755LST35359

1978 Model year.

If you could, please reasearch the inner upper, rear cab panel also. The upper Pinch weld around the backglass is rotted away. I would just as soon replace with new as opposed to cutting my other cab apart. The cab outer rear panel is in good shape.

On another note, have you had any luck with a slider back glass assy. for the rear on "R" models?

Thanks again Barry,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 1 month later...

Rob, how hard is it to replace the roof on the R model I have to do something with mine its rusting all along the back. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Hi there, this operation is not that difficult with a few simple tools:

Use a screwdriver or small (1/2" or so) width chisel to remove the sealant that is poured into the gutter. This will usually come out in small chunks. If you use a heat gun to warm the area, the job is a bit easier.

An air hammer with a 3/4" flat chisel does a nice job of cutting the roof skin where it transitions from a verticle plane to horizontal in the pinch weld area. Be XTRA careful where the roof skin goes around the corners of the cab as the clearance is much tighter. I used a 3" wheel grinder to barely cut through the exterior skin as my cab's inner and outer skin actually touched. I've repaired others that had 5/16ths to 3/8ths clearance, so yours could be anywhere between. Don't worry about removing the part of the roof skin that is welded to the rain gutter area. Take a small grinder an grind off any "flashing" that is sticking up till you have a smooth, paint free area.

On the replacement roof skin, punch or drill a series of 1/4" to 5/16" holes spaced about 4 inches apart around the entire perimeter of the skin of the horizontal flange at the 50% width of this flange. This will be for "plug welding" with a mig welder. I've seen several panels of this type installed by gluing and plug welding the edges and I do not support this method. I've seen several failures of glued panels and this is my own opinion.

After brushing or spraying weld thru primer on the bare steel and plug welding about 100 holes, and grinding the welds flush, I then apply epoxy primer to the area via a paint brush. The next day, the roof skin is prepped, epoxy primer applied to the complete panel and flowable seam sealer applied to the pinch weld area. A flowable seam sealer will self level/seal and get into any area where where water would get into. A couple of hours later, the area can be prepped for paint. Seam sealer takes and holds paint well so no primer is needed on it.

I strongly recommend the use of epoxy primer as it is great at bare metal adhesion and I feel unsurpassed at corrosion protection.

Hope this helps in your repair.

Rob

• 1 month later...

I have a 1969 U-Model with a bad drip edge and back to both the front and rear windows. I was going to replace the cab, but if there is any aftermarket part to cut that section out and weld it in it would be less work. Any information will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Panhead